Back Up database in Network Location

• [font="Verdana"]Hi All,

Yesterday I installed 2012 and trying to know its features. Here I am facing a problem. I am trying to take back up of my AP database in my network location. I can take it easily in my D or E drive. The query is

backup database ap

to disk='\\CONFERENCE-PC\PrimaLink Share\Pratip\Database\ap.bak'

But it shows me the following error

Msg 3201, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

Cannot open backup device '\\CONFERENCE-PC\PrimaLink Share\Pratip\Database\ap.bak'. Operating system error 5(Access is denied.).

Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

[/font]

My sql server is running in local system. Earlier in 2008R2 I have not faced this problem.

Would you please guide me?

Thanks in advance!

• niladri.primalink (5/24/2013)

[font="Verdana"]Hi All,

Yesterday I installed 2012 and trying to know its features. Here I am facing a problem. I am trying to take back up of my AP database in my network location. I can take it easily in my D or E drive. The query is

backup database ap

Cannot open backup device '\\CONFERENCE-PC\PrimaLink Share\Pratip\Database\ap.bak'. Operating system error 5(Access is denied.).

[/font]

My sql server is running in local system. Earlier in 2008R2 I have not faced this problem.

Thanks in advance!

"Access is denied" is your clue. The context under which SQL Server is running does not have permission to create the file \\CONFERENCE-PC\PrimaLink Share\Pratip\Database\ap.bak. If you want to do backups, restores and other operations across the network, you need to run SQL Server under a domain account, not Local System. You then need to grant that domain account the necessary permissions on the backup location.

John

[font="Verdana"]Hi All,

backup database ap

[/font]

Thanks in advance!

Try adding the SQL Server Engine service account access to the backup folder. Something is ringing a bell in my head that the engine service account needs access too......... hmm......

But yeh - its a permissions issue

[font="Times New Roman"]There's no kill switch on awesome![/font]
  • Funnily enough I've just had a similar problem but with a local backup path. I had to add the sql ENGINE service account to the backup folder not the agent account.

Edit: Actually thinking about it we are using Litespeed for backups which could explain why I only need the engine account.

• 1)Check you should full access on \\CONFERENCE-PC\PrimaLink Share\Pratip.

2) Once you have right then take backup.

• dineshvishe (5/24/2013)

1)Check you should full access on \\CONFERENCE-PC\PrimaLink Share\Pratip.

2) create text file and delete for test purpose.

3) Once you have right then take backup.

point 2 would only be valid if you have logged in with the same service account that SQL is using (if a service account the account would typically not have interactive logon rights). So don't be fooled if you tried this and it worked, then your back ups continued to fail

[font="Verdana"]Hi All,

backup database ap

[/font]

Thanks in advance!

I do not know why you say you have done this with a local system account. Unless is NETWORK SERVICE , you can't cross servers or network and do network stuff with a local account. You need a domain account, one with access on the other server as well.

Get a domain account for SQL agent and grant proper permissions (or use NETWORK SERVICE but can be less secure). Create a backup job and test. Yours is the typical permission error. Your folder does not have the read and write access required for SQL to drop the backup files there.

• You need a service account. If its just a test and no one is using the server, change the SQL service account to your domain id and give it a shot. Assuming your account will have access to network share.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply