Back Up and Recovery w/ Merge Relp

• I just got off the phone with a client, and he wanted to know if we knew anything about setting up disaster recovery procedures for SQL Server. In particular, he is interested in how to restore a SQL server that is running merge replication and restoring data as well as the replication subscriptions. Apparently they did some initial research on their end and found a white paper from Microsoft that says you can't do disaster recovery when using replication. Is this true? Also, as an FYI, they are currently using a product called Arc soft for backing up their SQL database.

If you have any documentation that you can point me to, or share, pls do. Thx.

kallebach

Kurt Allebach

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Look at the topic "Strategies for Backing Up and Restoring Merge Replication" in SQL Books Online.

I have the following ready to do in case of a disaster (I sure hope I never have to use it!). Backups of master, msdb, distribution, and publisher databases. I also have SQL Scripts to recreate the publisher's replication and table structure. Since I use dynamic snapshots this is a must if I'm going to be able to create the database from just the data. In my case I could conceivably recreate the publisher by running the scripts and then uploading the data from each of the subscribers if I absolutely had to.

Gary Johnson

Microsoft Natural Language Group

DBA, Sr. DB Engineer

Gary Johnson
    Microsoft Natural Language Group
    DBA, Sr. DB Engineer

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. The opinions expressed in this post are my own and may not reflect that of my employer.

• Thanks for the help. Say...I did a presentation for the Phila. SQL 7 launch a few years back on English Query. Haven't done much with it since and I haven't heard much about it either...thought it was a great idea. What's going on with Natural Language these days. Contact me directly at kallebach@sark.com. Thx.

kallebach

Kurt Allebach

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply