Back to the Future

• 🙂

The backwards part was where I got the IT job because I had a PC with OS/2 on it - I never studied computer science in school.

• GDI Lord (6/12/2009)

[OT]

What is it with the high visibility of the South Africans here (seemingly) all of a sudden? Are we taking over the forum?

[/OT]

SADeveloper.net is down, pending a new hosting solution. We have to hang out somewhere.

A takeover sounds fun. Steve might object though. 😉

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • SADeveloper.net is down, pending a new hosting solution. We have to hang out somewhere.

you could stand between the candle and the flame...

• About the only regret is that I took a job immediately as I finished my degree. A week after I accepted the job I got an offer for a full Master's degree scholarship. Not a big thing, I'm doing the Masters at the moment.

Other than that, no major regrets. I had a couple rough patches, a year stint at a company that was going downhill fast (I could write a book on the bad management practices there), but in the long run it turned out for the best. It was while working there that I got seriously introduced to SQL Server (I'd dabbled with it up until then) by a consultant that I now work with.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I have an identical twin brother. We have basically the same interests but have taken divergent paths. I sometimes wonder where I would be if I had also gone into theater and stage combat. Or if I had worked towards astronomy (one of our other interests).

Kevin C.

• KevinC. (6/12/2009)

I have an identical twin brother. We have basically the same interests but have taken divergent paths. I sometimes wonder where I would be if I had also gone into theater and stage combat. Or if I had worked towards astronomy (one of our other interests).

Kevin C.

ok, astronomical stage combat is officially my new goal in life.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Andy Lennon (6/12/2009)

i regret not taking a year break after High School before going to college.

I didn't think about it at the time but i was flat out sick of the educational system. I went to college and hated every class, then stopped going to classes.

i might have actually been able to stomach higher education and earned those letters next to my name.

Hrmmm... semi-autobiographical 🙂

I sometimes wish I had chosen a science path (either the traditional sciences or the behavioral route) instead of IT, always had a knack for it and I usually enjoyed it 🙂

What didn't help was when I was signing up for Uni subjects, the "advisor" that was supposed to help me make an informed decision was a total git; where was hindsight when I needed it!

• My biggest regret is not being more focused on a career path earlier in life. I wasted 4 years while in the armed services where I could have been taking college courses at night. After getting out of the USMC I needed to make a living and spent several years as an electronic technician before discovering the world of databases.

• Very interesting posts. I regret not having gotten my Bachelors degree. Quite college to get married. I don't regret having taken 15 years off to raise children I just think of it as taking my retirement on the front side. Went back to school and got an Applied Associates degree which got me where I am. Make a decent living. Love my job and the people I work with. And eventually I will get to retire for good.

• Interesting that many of you wish you had done more education. I wonder if that was to get a headstart on your career now or just to learn more.

And I wonder how many people want to continue on and get that degree now. Lots of online, relatively inexpensive options now. Might be a good editorial.

• Steve Jones - Editor (6/15/2009)

Might be a good editorial.

hear hear

• How about the futute though? Do many of you picture yourselves as DBA's in another 10/20 years time?

Got to be honest, not sure that gets me excited! :sick:

• I know Steve didn't intend to start a thread now about the cost of further education, but I had to agree to disagree with one statement--at least with regard to the cost of graduate school (maybe Steve's comment was limited to undergraduate degrees?).

I live in Atlanta, and with regard to graduate programs for working professionals (i.e. nights, weekends and/or online) available to me, I haven't been able to find anything that most would consider inexpensive. I've recently shopped around considerably, and the least expensive (not necessarily the best) Master's program I've found for working professionals is at least $16,000 (and rising). However, many, if not most such programs, exceed that amount by over 2x. That ain't pocket change, and most employers these days won't pay a dime.

I don't regret not having had the drive to get a Masters. I regret that the ridiculous and rising cost of doing so could quite likely exceed the benefits.

• To quote Frank Sinatra, "Regrets; I've had a few but then again too few too mention".

It doesn't hurt to reflect on the past but what's done is done and you can't go back there. I don't spend too much time on what-ifs, I spend my time on the what's-to-comes.

Education is very important to me. And not just for work. I'm taking a summer course in digital astro-photography from the local university.

• Would I go back to Uni and get my degree (in computing that is)? Short answer, no.

I have seen the type of stuff the local University is teaching in IT and it's worthless.

If I was going to do anything IT related, it would be industry cert's.

-d

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply