Back To Basics: Whats an update

• Hi, Thought of going back to basics, Whats an update. Is it an operation of delete and insert?

• sqlzealot-81 (6/6/2011)

Hi, Thought of going back to basics, Whats an update. Is it an operation of delete and insert?

Yep, True the update will delete the value first and insert it.

Muthukkumaran Kaliyamoorthy
    https://www.sqlserverblogforum.com/

• The easiest way to verify it would be to add a AFTER UPDATE trigger to a test table and insert the results of the internal DELETED and INSERTED tables into an audit table. Then insert a row and perform an update.

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• muthukkumaran Kaliyamoorthy (6/6/2011)

sqlzealot-81 (6/6/2011)

Hi, Thought of going back to basics, Whats an update. Is it an operation of delete and insert?

Not in most cases it won't.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I tested sometimes back where I found update deletes and then inserts.

However, when I think about the replication, say, I am having a transactional replication, If I update some data in publisher DB,(say, it deletes and inserts), then the same transaction must be applied to subscriber in the same sequense right? But I can see the delete and inserts are very less in this case.

Any thoughts?

• GilaMonster (6/6/2011)

muthukkumaran Kaliyamoorthy (6/6/2011)

sqlzealot-81 (6/6/2011)

To clear myself, What happens in most cases?

• An in-place update.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• GilaMonster (6/6/2011)

sqlzealot-81 (6/6/2011)

Yes I second that.

• GilaMonster (6/6/2011)

An in-place update.

@sqlzealot-81,

What gail told is

An inplace update only change the byte.But an exception update trigger and replication.This as you told delete followed by an insert.

GilaMonster (6/6/2011)

An in-place update.

@sqlzealot-81,

What gail told is

An inplace update only change the byte.But an exception update trigger and replication.This as you told delete followed by an insert.

How do we differ the transaction whether its in-place or multi-phase operation?

GilaMonster (6/6/2011)

An in-place update.

@sqlzealot-81,

What gail told is

You don't change anything. SQL does under the covers, it's not something you need to worry about.

Gail Shaw

GilaMonster (6/6/2011)

An in-place update.

@sqlzealot-81,

What gail told is

So are you saying that if there's replication or an update trigger, SQL will always split an update into a delete/insert? Prove it or cite it please.

Gail Shaw

GilaMonster (6/6/2011)

An in-place update.

@sqlzealot-81,

What gail told is

SQL server will manage this.Its huge part.

It depends upon the number of rows affect by an update st and whether the index key has to changed.

• Hi Muthu,Can you provide us a link please?

• GilaMonster (6/6/2011)

GilaMonster (6/6/2011)

An in-place update.

@sqlzealot-81,

What gail told is

So are you saying that if there's replication or an update trigger, SQL will always split an update into a delete/insert? Prove it or cite it please.

I dont have a quote to show you but have spent many hours seeing it when reviewing transaction logs in ApexSql log. I determined it was required when using a filtered publication so rows can be deleted and inserted depending on meeting the filter criteria.

I should say, this is how it is logged and not necessarily the action performed on the publisher database. I didnt track this.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply