Azure VM backups, database snapshot backups

• I have inherited two Azure VMs each hosting a marketplace SQL 2012 instance. Both VMs receive daily application-consistent VM backups.  So far so straightforward. What I don't understand is that on one VM all of the databases show (on the logs and in msdb) as having snapshot backups at the same time as the VM backups. On the other VM none of them do.

I have searched everywhere on the Azure portal for where this is configured, but can't find anything. On the screen where the VM backups are listed there is a link to a screen for database discovery. All the databases appear but none are ticked, and you can't save unless you tick at least one. This behaviour is the same for both VMs. Yet all databases on one VM get backed up, none on the other VM get backed up. Can anyone explain this?

Note, these are Azure VM backups. SQL in Azure VM backups are not configured. And with respect, I am only interested in explanations for the behaviour I have described, not suggestions for what I could be doing to back up these databases.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by  jontris.
    • This topic was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by  jontris.
  • What else can you do on the one that backs up rather than the one which doesn’t?

My guess is the SQL IaaS extension is registered in full on the one which backs up and is in lightweight or not registered on the other.

• Thanks for the reply. I've checked and both are registered in full. Let me change the emphasis a little bit.

On the VM that does the snapshot backups, how would you configure which databases get backed up and which don't? As I said, on the screen where you list your VM restore points there's a prompt that says 'Please ensure that backup has been configured on the desired databases.' When you follow that prompt you see all the databases but none are ticked. Yet all databases are getting backups. So you are certainly not viewing the current configuration. Perhaps you can generate a new configuration by ticking a subset of databases and saving. But this is far from clear, and as this is a production VM I don't want to proceed by trial and error.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply