Azure SQL Database

• Koen Verbeeck (1/13/2014)

Easy question, but the way it is formulated it seems backups are entirely not possible (the MSDN page gives the same expression) and that your data is not safe. Azure databases are replicated to different servers to deal with disaster recovery. It doesn't protect you from accidental data loss though (for example issuing DROP TABLE by accident).

There are alternatives:

Different ways to Backup your Windows Azure SQL Database

That list of alternatives includes SQL Data Sync. Is that a safe thing to use for backup? MS have published a warning that says "SQL Data Sync should not be used as part of your backup strategy as there are several limitations. It does not version, it only backs up data and no other objects" - is that now out of date?

Tom

• I attended a Azure seminar just last week and the presenter said "there are strategies for backing up your databases" when he was asked about it. I asked if "backup database [dbname] to disk etc." was one of them and he said that it was not. He didn't know what they were, but he said they existed. It left me somewhat less than inspired. In fairness, the presentation was focused on on Azure as a whole, not SQL.

• Thank you, Steve for small correction.

Appreciate everyone for comments and sharing experience which helps to enhance knowledge and understanding of new technology.

Regards,

FM

---------------------------------------------------
    "Thare are only 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

• I read the question after Steve`s correction, so it was easy and I got it right.

Thanks & Best Regards,
    Hany Helmy
    SQL Server Database Consultant

• Good QOTD. Easy but good to know more about azure. 🙂

• good one.

• I knew this one based on experience.

Even if I hadn't had experience with SQL Azure and backups I still would have guessed "Feature not supported". This reason tends to be what I run into more often than not when working with SQL Azure and try to do something I normally do on on-premise SQL Servers.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply