AWS RDS for SQL Server - Backup to/Restore from s3 - Multiple Account Scenario

• Hi All,

I need a sanity check, and hoping someone here can provide it....

Environment:

Prod Instance - AWS ec2 instance running SQL Server (2022) in "Prod Account"

s3 Bucket in "Backups Account"

Dev Instance - AWS ec2 instance running SQL Server (2022) in "Dev Account"

Use Case: Need to be able to execute weekly FULL and daily DIFF backups from "Prod Account" to an s3 bucket in "Backups Account". Need to be able to RESTORE from those files into the dev instance in "Dev Account".

Situation: Prod instance can successfully backup to the designated s3 bucket FOR FULL BACKUPS. DIFF backups fail with "internal error". Policies and creds have been setup using the guidance from here (Importing and exporting SQL Server databases using native backup and restore - Amazon Relational Database Service).

Additionally, no matter what we do, we cannot get the dev instance to read from the designated s3 bucket (same error; "internal error").

We opened a support ticket, and AWS say that the s3 bucket MUST BE IN THE SAME ACCOUNT as the ec2 instances. I do not see anywhere that this is a documented limitation.

Has anyone else setup their environment like this?

Any insight is helpful; thanks all!

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• josh.jones@wcc.govt.nz wrote:

Situation: Prod instance can successfully backup to the designated s3 bucket FOR FULL BACKUPS. DIFF backups fail with "internal error".

full backups are fine but diffs fail, is that correct?

Also check these links for further detail.

https://repost.aws/knowledge-center/native-backup-rds-sql-server

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonRDS/latest/UserGuide/Appendix.SQLServer.Options.BackupRestore.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Hi Perry,

Sorry for the delay, and thanks for responding. We had a massive prod deployment so I got sidetracked....Anyway, yes, FULL works, DIFF does not. Same instance, same s3 bucket, etc.

Your first link details everything we have done... I imagine that's why the FULL backups work. But why would DIFF fail with an AWS error? (It's not like it's failing because the backup chain was broken, etc.).

Also, the DEV instance has all the some configuration, yet cannot restore. Note that everything involved is an ec2 instance (no RDS).

Any other thoughts?

• I’m a little confused, the topic title states RDS backup and rsstore but you’re citing EC2  backup to url, the 2 are configured differently.

Also, have you tried what AWS support directed

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply