Away From SQL

• Working toward getting my pro-card being a male prostitute.(ha ha)  (A nod to Saturday Night Live - Fred Garvin played by Dan Akroid)

Live to Throw
    Throw to Live
    Will Summers

• I own my own business and SQL Server work is just a part of it. The basement office is my natural habitat as a result. I'm not much a one for leaving the house except for client visits, errands for my good wife, yard work and snow shoveling, occasional visits to friends, or hauling the kids around. Therefore the dearth of outdoor pursuits, now that I'm no longer a Cubmaster, pretty much guarantees that my complexion remains fish-belly white.

Yes, the outdoor type of recreation has pretty much faded away -- even golf, sad to say. Going to the gym is far in the past.

But my compensation comes from indoor pursuits:

¶ Chess and other board games, particularly those made by 3M in the 60s.

¶ Reading aloud to my wife and children -- Job: A Comedy of Justice by Heinlein is the current fare. Recently finished Undaunted Courage about the Lewis and Clark expedition, and Coming of Age in the Milky Way about the expansion of man's concept of the size of the universe.

¶ Home schooling -- teaching my daughter to read, add, and tell time is a particular pleasure, and guiding my 15-year-old son through Euclid, algebra, and biology is another.

¶ Politics/History -- Latest reading: George Washington by Paul Johnson and World War II by John Keegan. I also go to City Council meetings when I can.

¶ Blogging/email -- thetowncrank.blogspot.com ... the least-read fairly active blog on the GoreNet.

¶ Math reading -- Finished three books on the Riemann hypothesis within the last six months. I don't pretend to understand it yet.

¶ Science reading -- The God Particle, QED, Martin Gardner books

¶ Puzzles -- Martin Gardner's collections from Scientific American; those puzzles where there are six houses of different colors with people of different nationalities that smoke different brands of cigarettes ... you know; and brain teaser type puzzles.

¶ British drama: Rumpole of the Bailey, I Claudius, The Prisoner.

¶ British comedy: Blackadder, Fawlty Towers (Warty Towels), Monty Python, Mr. Bean.

¶ Science Fiction/Fantasy: Movies and books. If you'll note, the IMDB top 25 highest-grossing movies of all time include 22 titles of science fiction or fantasy. I've seen them all more than once. Robert Heinlein, Dan Simmons, Michael Crichton...hard to go wrong with novels by these fellows.

When do I actually work? Excellent question!

http://www.swerbach.com/security

thetowncrank.blogspot.com

Steven W. Erbach
    Neenah, WI
    http://thetowncrank.blogspot.com

• I have a few things I enjoy, hanging out with my dogs, 1 greyhound & 1 Italian Greyhound would probably be my favorite.  They don't talk back or ask questions when I come home from a hard day's work, they just listen.

I have also recently rediscovered sewing.  I did this as a kid, but then kind of dropped it.  I just picked it up again this year and can easily loose large chunks of time.  I also like to garden, ski, scrapbook and make cards.

-A.

• There isn't a lot of free time after work is finished, but when there is I devote it to my 3 favorite hobbies: my wife and 2 little girls. 

I also enjoy movies and have recently started a Netflix account (great fun!!).

I also spend a great deal of time learning: usually computer related whether it's a new language or new product or just learning better ways of doing business.  I may start a masters program soon that's good for another 2 years of no-spare time!    There's just so much to learn these days -- I never seem to catch up to the latest technology before it's superceded by the next product/version!  Alas, such is the life of an IT guy!

• I spend as much time as possible with my daughter, which for me is better than any hobby, but outside of that, I get out in my kayak or on my mountain bike, inline skates or X-country skis (depending on the season). I hike on the bruce trail (Ontario Canada) and walking my Aussie shepherd/ Border collie cross. The only downside of having many and varied interests outside work is that they all compete for time and money but we always find those when we need them, don't we.

cheers!

Scott

• Karate!  After sitting at a desk all day, there's no better way to de-stress than to kick, punch, roll, yell at the top of your lungs & sweat.  Of course, that's just what I do to get the car started.   Then it's off to the dojo for some more of the same...

• For me it's a chance to get out on the links and get in a round of golf when the weather is nice.  Also taking long jogs/walks with my dog and spending time with my wife are rewarding activities.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• lindy hop! and a whole bunch of balboa of course.

-Jeff

• Playing with my 5 year old (ironically, she comes home from school and wants to play school!)

Then after everyone's asleep, playing Civilization IV for an hour or two.

John Scarborough
    MCDBA, MCSA

• Woodworking.  While the shop is usually has cars parked in it, it's great satisfaction to spend time turning flat boards into beautiful furniture.  I'm no Norm Abrams but I love building stuff (sometimes the "stuff" is computer programs).

In addition to building bookcases and tables and stuff, there's the home improvement side -- installing cove moldings, chair rails and stuff.  Ah, the smell of fresh cut wood.

• I enjoy playing music - guitar and bass. writing music, listinign to music - it really makes me forget about the rest of the day

• Surfing and drawing.

Surfing is a special challenge because I live in Western New York. So I surf on the Great Lakes (quit laughing, it can be done!) and vacation on the East Coast several times a year.

A sample of my artwork can be seen here:

http://www.deviantart.com/view/26101270/

Bob
    SuccessWare Software

• I enjoy cabinet making.  I spend time on the lathe and on the scroll saw as well.  After beating your head against computers and databases it is real therapudic to go into the shop and work with wood.

• Shoveling snow!! Holy! We got a dump of it this morning!! Needless to say I was late for work today...
    Once done at the office, it's time to put on the snow shoes/xc skis and go! Gotta love the Great White North!!

Have a great weekend everyone!!
  • I have a pottery studio in my home and I spend as much time there as I can. When I'm not in the studio, I like to look at pictures of pottery and read books about it to get inspiration. In the summer, I spend huge amounts of time working in the yard on a landscaping project my husband and I are doing.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 87 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply