Avoiding the Hell of having to Remember DDL syntax

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Avoiding the Hell of having to Remember DDL syntax

Best wishes,
    Phil Factor

• What's your favorite way of keeping your productivity going strong without excessing 'googling?' I'd be fascinated to know.

There is a thing called 'excessive googling'? Ut oh.

• That AceText clipboard history tool sounds like a good place to keep common code blocks for things like error handling or DMV queries. Also, if you simply type the one or two word preamble of a DDL statement (like CREATE TABLE) into a SSMS query window, highlight it, and press the F1 key, it will automatically open the relevant MSDN topic in a web browser tab.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Cut/paste? :laugh:

I love Prompt, and every once in awhile I don't have it and my productivity goes down.

I've definitely  enjoyed  templates over the years, and often used them as snippets of code. Maybe using a common join pattern, like:

orders o
    inner join orderlines  ol
     on o.orderid = ol.orderid
    inner join products p
    on ol.productid = p.productid

Of course,  the parameters in SQL Prompt snippets, or templates, are a godsend. I've used those extensively, and often find myself creating a new one if there's certain code that I'm entering over and over where I see a pattern.

• I use SQL Prompt for most everything. I have custom stuff in it to that I share with the team to keep us on the same page. It's really beneficial.

The only issue is I have fully migrated to Azure Data Warehouse and SQL Prompt does not fully support all of their specific statements. Thus, I commonly Google what I need there from the resource pages of Microsoft. This is not a big problem for me, but when I do use SQL Prompt formatting, which I commonly use, it invalidates the syntax that is correct with Azure and causes issue with syntax it can read.

They may have an update for this, but haven't checked lately.

• I use SQL Prompt too, but more for shortcuts (e.g. expanding SELECT *) rather than to remember how to do something in code.

I will use tab history (also from Redgate) to recall code I use regularly. I usually know the keyword to recall it and it saves me a trip to a search engine.

If it's a query I need to remember (e.g. how to join a set of tables together correctly), I usually just remember where such a query exists & start from that query next time. I don't spend time maintaining a separate library of snippets. 

Other than that, I don't mind excessive searching. For a few things (the exact range of smallint for example), I know the search term and I recognize the page I trust to get the information from. And that way it works wherever I am - my productivity isn't going to go down the toilet on a new machine. At some point, after googling the same code snippet for a while, I remember what it is, and could likely do it from memory (if the internet was down for example). But, when the internet isn't down, I see no reason to put myself through that pain.

At the end of the day, I figure it's more important that I know something exists and know how to find it, than it is to memorize the exact syntax.

Leonard
    Madison, WI

• We keep our frequently use queries on a wiki

412-977-3526 call/text

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply