avg calculation

• I have a situation where I need to calculate the avg sal only when I have a recent value.

i.e,

table:

id reportingperiod sal

1 jan 2000

1 aug 2200

2 jan 0

2 aug 2000

I want the result to be:

id avg(sal)

1 2100

2 0

I tried alot using case statements but I think I am missing some thing there..

Please help me...

Thanks.

• Why not using AVG() ... GROUP BY?

Edit: and what do you consider as being a "recent value"? You'd need a date to compare against, but I can't find one: The month name by itself can be from any year...

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• try this

select id, avg(sal) from @temp

where sal <> 0

group by id

having count(reportingperiod) = 2

declare variable to store reportingperiod. in above example i have used constant 2

• I can but I have a condition involved which is, when reportingperiod is jan and sal=0 then avg(sal) should be zero even if the reportingperiod apr sal has some value..

• SQLSmasher (1/18/2011)

try this

select id, avg(sal) from @temp

where sal <> 0

group by id

having count(reportingperiod) = 2

declare variable to store reportingperiod. in above example i have used constant 2

WHa?

non - zero Salary. I'm with ya.

Group on the ID, I'm with ya.

count( reportingperiod) = 2 with a variable to store ... nono, stop there. What? This gets, at best, an incredibly limited subset of the data. You want to go look deeper into the having clause and its usage.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• sravanb (1/18/2011)

I can but I have a condition involved which is, when reportingperiod is jan and sal=0 then avg(sal) should be zero even if the reportingperiod apr sal has some value..

Can you post the real DDL to your table, as well as the full business rules as you know it?

So far we have a vague reference to 'recent' entries, with no definition nor enforcable by the original ddl.

Now we have a new business rule you're trying to solve, which wasn't mentioned at all originally.

Take a breath, take a step back, and go through what you need from start to finish. It will be much easier for us to help you from that point with examples of the real structure and queries you've created so far.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

• additionally, we have a duplicate thread.

@sravanb

After reevaluating the issues as Craig recommended, please take the time and read the first article referenced in my (and Craigs) signature on how to ask questions on a forum.

And, please, don't start another thread for the very same issue. Thank you.

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• DDL for the table:

sal(id int,reportingperiod varchar(10),salary int)

Business rule:

Average salary should be calculated only when if the employees have salary in reportingperiod month january.

Table values:

id reportingperiod sal

1 jan 2000

1 aug 2200

2 jan 0

2 aug 1000

Result:

id avg(sal)

1 2100

2 0

Thank you.

• sravanb (1/18/2011)

DDL for the table:

sal(id int,reportingperiod varchar(10),salary int)

Business rule:

Average salary should be calculated only when if the employees have salary in reportingperiod month january.

This is untested since the ddl and data aren't consumable, but you want something like:

SELECT

id,

CASE WHEN drvNonZeroLimiter.id IS NOT NULL

THEN AVG( sal.salary)

ELSE 0

END AS AvgSalary

FROM

sal

LEFT JOIN

(SELECT DISTINCT

id

FROM

sal

WHERE

reportingPeriod = 'Jan'

AND salary <> 0

) AS drvNonZeroLimiter

ON sal.id = drvNonZeroLimiter.id

- Craig Farrell

• Thanks craig!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply