Average Disk Queue Length 100 %

• Hi,

The system becomes very slow while the Average Disk Queue Length in the db server (SQL server 2000 standard edition) is maintaining at 100%. I found that the value of the maximum Disk Queue Length indicated 143.98 and the average is 23.13. Does it means that the bottleneck of the slowness in my system is on the physical disk? Is there anyway I can improve the performance?

Thanks

ananda

• I would say that you are on the right track in finding your system slowness. 🙂 Typically the only way to alleviate disk IO pressure is to add disks to volume that is presented to the server so that you have more spindles to read from / write to.

What is your disk configuration? Is it local storage or SAN? What is the RAID configuration? What are the disk types (Speed 10K, 15K, ?). What is your file configuration like, i.e. what is the layout for your database files, log files, tempdb?

Post back with some of this information and hopefully we can provide some pointers that will help things out.

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• hi david, thanks for reply...

Disk configuration is RAID 1+0 - (total 4 HD)

this server not in SAN storage area.

disk type is - SCSI Ultra 320

all user database file in separate disk in D drive. ( size is 650gb)

thanks

ananda

• What sizes are your partitions?

It might be worth going with 2 x RAID1 sets and move your log files on to another physical RAID set. This would dedicate spindles for each. The tough call is when it comes to tempdb. If that gets heavy usage you might have to reassess.

Shamless self promotion - read my blog http://sirsql.net

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply