Available memory on a server is going down gradually

• Hi,

The available memory on a server is going down gradually and never come back to its initial available memory. The available memory went from 4 GB to 1.4 GB now (previously it went down to 100MB, before the last reboot)

64-bit Windows Server 2003 EE

64-Bit SQL Server 2005 EE

20 GB memory

16 GB to SQL Server (both min & max set to 16 GB)

4 GB to OS

Lock pages in memory enabled

Other few processes running on the dedicated SQL Server are

LiteSpeed 64-bit

SQL Agent

SQL Integration service

Xcopy runs weekly and copies 50 GB file to another network

Could not find any memory leak either.

Worked with Microsoft Premium support and no solution yet as they say it is normal for 64-bit OS to consume memory and not release until needed and doesn't see any issues with the server.

Is that a normal behaviour for a 64-bit OS. I have not seen such a low number before.

Please suggest.

Thanks

Dev

• Do you see any process outside SQL that is consuming memory? Also, have you tried reducing min server memory to a lower limit?

MJ

• No other process taking memory. I ran perfmon for two weeks and monitored the certain processes. All the listed processes are taking memory when it runs and then releases them back.

Yes. I wanted to try resetting the min value to 8 GB and try again.

Here is the DBCC Memorystatus

Memory Manager KB

VM Reserved21330040

VM Committed340288

AWE Allocated17046776

Reserved Memory1024

Reserved Memory In Use0

• Do you see any change in available memory figure once you change the min server memory figure?

MJ

• I still have not done that yet. It is on Production and this is our peak period and heavily used. I will try in our next scheduled maintenance window.

Thanks

Dev

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply