availability group failover - reseed of identity column

• Hi -

I'm testing alwayson and found something interesting...

Currently, alwayson is configured as sync... I've created tables with an identity seed (1,1) and after failover - the seeds are being reseeded to 1000.

Anyone else seeing this type of behavior?

• I just did a series of tests with my AlwaysOn test environment. I failed over multiple times on an existing database, AdventureWorks2008R2. I didn't see the reseed occur. I tried it to a synchronous and an asynchronous connection.

Then, I set up a new database with just one table. I also tried this on a different set of servers, just in case. This time, I saw exactly what you saw.When the failover was done, my identity values were reseeded... Looking into it now.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Looks like it's a bug. I just submitted this on Connect if you want to go vote for it.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Thanks - i've also reached out to Microsoft... I'll post back any information I receive.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply