Availability Group

• I am planning to configure availability group between 2 nodes, node1(Primary data center) and node2(Secondary) with my application servers in both location on dedicated cluster. So I am thinking to configure availability group from Node1 to Node2 for database A, then configure another availability group between Node2 to Node1 for database B. So database A primary server is node1 and database B primary server is node2. So node1 is connecting to the application server in primary data center using listener. Whereas node2 located in secondary data center and it will be connecting to the application server located in secondary data center.

So my understanding is I have to create 2 AG group's and 2 listeners. Now the questions is there any pros and cons with this thought. Please advise?

• No that’s not how it works.

The same application which is split 50/50 between DCS needs to access 1 read write copy of the database and potentially multiple read only copies.

So you either need to ensure the application is down in the DR data centre so only the primary DCS app servers are running.

Or if you want to split the load look at what you can do to farm off read only queries and anything needing read/write goes to primary.

• The only way what you describe working is if you had multiple tenants and they each had their own database.

Say you had a client in New York, you would put their database (DB1) on a server on the East coast and setup HADR to the Central or West.

Say you had a client in Las Vegas, you would put their database (DB2) on a server on the West coast and setup HADR to the Central or East.

Say you had a client in Texas, you would put their database (DB3) on a server located in the Central US, and setup HADR to either East or West.

Then you would need multiple listeners so each client routes to the right server.

But the same application, which needs the same database you do not do multiple listeners and vice versa the databases.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply