Automation testing tools

• Which automation testing tool for desktop applications should I use? I'm working on a project with a desktop application designed in C#.

• I expect you would get more help in a C# forum than a SQL Server forum, but I would reach out to your development team and work with them to determine which tool is "best" in your scenario.

It also depends on if you are wanting the testing to be done on your workstation OR on a remote system.  If it is a remote system, Jenkins is a good way to go.  If it is local, I know there are a lot of tools, but I am not sure which would be "best" in your scenario.

The other question that comes to mind is are you looking for an automation testing tool that runs on the SOURCE code OR one that runs on the application layer?  If it is running on the application layer, I am not aware of any, but find that having a smart human do testing (either black box testing or white box testing) is a good way to go.  Nice thing with a smart human is they can tell you what they did to produce the error (if any).  With automated testing, it COULD be the automation tool clicked on things too quickly and faster than any human could possibly do.  Or it clicked on 2 buttons at once which is only possible with a touchscreen and if you design it for a non-touchscreen device, that may not be a valid error scenario.

Now source code testing, Jenkins is good BUT you also need to write your code with testing in mind.  If you haven't already, you should read up on test driven development.  It adds a lot of overhead to the initial build of an application, but reduces the time needed to debug in the future (usually).

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• Coded UI or katalon studio - try it. You can go with Visual Studio if you have some automation libraries. All three tools have object spy to identify objects. I would suggest you to install the trial version of these tools and do an automation feasibility analysis. Make sure the tools identify all the objects and then based on your needs and ROI , choose the best suited tool for you.   Maybe it helps you https://u-tor.com/services/automation-testing

• Is it possible to do 100% automation testing?

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply