Automating bckups

• Hi all,

I can backup my databases into my local drives.

But, if I'm moving my database bkup from the local machine to another mach from where I do a tape backup, can this entire process be automated?

Cheers

Parasuraman

Parasu Raman

Regards
    Parasu Raman

• Sure. You just need a batch file that copies all your *.bak files over to the machine that has the tape drive. You could configure it to run as a second step in your back up job, or as a separate job scheduled to run after you are sure the backup will be complete (this is better if you're using the Maint wizard to build your back up job, since your changes could be lost if you made a change in the wizard). Or you could could schedule the batch file to run through the Windows scheduler. Another variation would be run the batch file from the machine that has the tape backup.

Andy

• Thanx alot Andy,

Can I also include a batch or job for the copying of the .bak file from the hard disk to the tape.

I havent used a tape till now. We've got a new tape in our office. How can i use it?

Cheers and thanx again

Parasu Raman

Regards
    Parasu Raman

• Sorta. You have to use the software provided with the tape drive to get data on tape, it may be possible to use it from a batch file but normally you would just schedule it using either a built in scheduler or the Win scheduler.

Andy

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply