Automatic updates/Restarting SQL Server 05

• Hi,

Im a noob to the sql world. My question is, it seems like automatic updates have finished applying the updates and it keeps on asking me to restart the server.. is there anything I should keep in mind after it restarts? Just concerned that services will not start up properly. Could someone give me some rule of thumbs of what to do after a server restart, please.

Thanks much!

• Check if your required SQL Server services are set to start automatically or not, if not modify the properties to set it automatic.

• You should check if the SQL Server Service is running fine, the SQL Agent Service is running and if you have installed/enabled other services as SQL Browsing, Reporting, SSIS, etc then all services should start up.

Once it is up, try to connect to master and some user databases to make sure they are working fine.

Generally, there will not be any issue in this restart case.

• thanks for your replies..

and of course with the restart, it should be during off-hours correct?

• dbit (11/25/2009)

thanks for your replies..

and of course with the restart, it should be during off-hours correct?

That's obvious, and if it's a production server, inform the application team / owners that there will be a downtime.

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Join on Facebook Page Facebook.comLearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• Though not in the initial question, I need to ask how you are actually getting the Updates. Is automatic updates configured to receive the updates directly from the website, from WSUS/SUS, or SMS?

Patches should be applied to a test environment prior to rolling to production. For this reason, it is better to not retrieve your updates directly from the website to your server - unless you disable the service and only enable it at the time you wish to update the server. It is more desirable to use WSUS or something like that so you can approve the rollout of updates to the different environments.

Patch test environment, test heavily, then after testing passes - roll to prod during a down time.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply