Automatic Page Repair

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Automatic Page Repair

• Thanks. Straight forward enough of a question.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (11/11/2013)

Thanks. Straight forward enough of a question.

+1

Hope this helps...

Ford Fairlane
    Rock and Roll Detective

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• New question that needs doing some searching. 🙂

Thanks & Best Regards,
    Hany Helmy
    SQL Server Database Consultant

• Frankly speaking I was not aware of the answer and simply had to track it down using google. The first site i saw gave me the answer. But good informative question. 🙂

• Good question. Definitely a DBA question. +1

• I didn't know the answer either and had to research it. I got to learn something today and it's still early. 😀 Thanks for a good question to get my brain moving.

• Ed Wagner (11/12/2013)

I didn't know the answer either and had to research it. I got to learn something today and it's still early. 😀 Thanks for a good question to get my brain moving.

+1 Indeed, I definitely learned something today.

Everything is awesome!

• I got it right not because I actually knew the answer but because I figured that the data (meaning common) pages would be fixed by automatic page repair while more high-end issues would not. The logic being that the more you need it the more likely it wont happen.

Cheers

• Nice question Mike! I love these documented features that are documented in TechNet only copies of the Books Online. 😎

• jfogel (11/12/2013)

I got it right not because I actually knew the answer but because I figured that the data (meaning common) pages would be fixed by automatic page repair while more high-end issues would not. The logic being that the more you need it the more likely it wont happen.

LOL... That is cute but I believe the actual logic is it can only repair the pages to do with the mirrored Data itself and not the copy of the mirrored data.

I.E. - I can request a page that is in the data pages of the mirrored database source, but not anything that is unique to the partner database created to hold the mirrored database.

• Dana Medley (11/12/2013)

Ed Wagner (11/12/2013)

I didn't know the answer either and had to research it. I got to learn something today and it's still early. 😀 Thanks for a good question to get my brain moving.

+1 Indeed, I definitely learned something today.

Me, too. Thanks, Mike!

• Nice question, thanks.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• PHYData DBA (11/12/2013)

jfogel (11/12/2013)

I got it right not because I actually knew the answer but because I figured that the data (meaning common) pages would be fixed by automatic page repair while more high-end issues would not. The logic being that the more you need it the more likely it wont happen.

LOL... That is cute but I believe the actual logic is it can only repair the pages to do with the mirrored Data itself and not the copy of the mirrored data.

I.E. - I can request a page that is in the data pages of the mirrored database source, but not anything that is unique to the partner database created to hold the mirrored database.

I guess I agree with PHYData; some pages contain information about physical positioning (ie information about the the physical copy of the data), and since the physical to logical mapping won't be the same for both units those pages won't be recoverable. Other pages contain only logical positioning information, so are the same for all copies of the data: no reason they shouldn't be recoverable. It is of course a natural consequence of Murphy's law that the pages whose loss do the greatest damage are the ones which are not recoverable, but Murphy's law applies to all processes, including the process of making deductions from Murphy's law, and thus jvogel's reasoning doesn't wash.

Tom

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply