Attended an Interview

• rhythmk (9/18/2012)

Kingston Dhasian (9/18/2012)

1.How many columns a SQL table can hold.

2.How many string functions are there in SQL.

3.How many non-clustered indexes a SQL table can have.

4.What is the port to be used to connect SQL DB server.

Some of these questions seem valid to me as well

From your questions I feel that either

1. The interview panel was not experienced one and they have used "Google" to find "SQL Server Interview Questions" themselves OR

2. This is just an initial round

Anyways, your answers seem a bit rude to me in an interview

You could have politely said, "I don't remember the exact syntax as there is always Google and MSDN to help me out"

I have said this in some interviews and they were OK with it and say that they are only interested in the logic I use to solve the problem.

This was the final technical round of interview.

Even in first instance I also felt that they were actually not looking for exact answers.So I just replied like this should be around this number or like that. But after every reply they got back to me with actual number. e.g. For columns I told like it depends but he replied back with exact number 1024.Then for SQL functions I simply told that I used 10-12 function and named those, don't remember the excat number then he replied that these are 24 and like was got the exact number.

Even after few such type of questions I told him that "does the number really matters means we can get it on BOL or on Google in very first instance".Then he asked some questions on different sql concepts and asked me to write few queries.But later again he came back on the same bunch of questions.

But don't know perhaps he was not agreed with me or as if he was having a limited set of questions 🙂 I finally gave up by a sweet wink on my face that instead of hiring me better to have a Google search and I made sure he did not take that in wrong way 😉

Though he provided a good feedback and finally yesterday only HR offered me the position with my expectation 😉

Congrats!!! Did you accept?

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange (9/19/2012)

My answers would have been similar to this.

I did know this one, 1024 or 30,000, depending on whether we are talking wide tables. I think Gail pointed out that that's theoretical, however, becasue you'll hit the max row size barrier that makes wider tables impractical.

i would probably ask for clarification, and otherwise name the ones off the top of my head.

i would have said 250 or 999, depending on the sql version...i think that's right.

i would have gone into details and stated the defaults for the service and the agent, 1433, and 1434, that it can be changed, and the ramifications of not having the sql agenct for non default ports ont he connection strings; and mentioned that there's 65535 ports, many of them reserved for specific services, which are usually ports less than 1024.

that's how i remember it without any Google-Fu.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Lowell (9/19/2012)

Sean Lange (9/19/2012)

My answers would have been similar to this.

I did know this one, 1024 or 30,000, depending on whether we are talking wide tables. I think Gail pointed out that that's theoretical, however, becasue you'll hit the max row size barrier that makes wider tables impractical.

i would probably ask for clarification, and otherwise name the ones off the top of my head.

i would have said 250 or 999, depending on the sql version...i think that's right.

i would have gone into details and stated the defaults for the service and the agent, 1433, and 1434, that it can be changed, and the ramifications of not having the sql agenct for non default ports ont he connection strings; and mentioned that there's 65535 ports, many of them reserved for specific services, which are usually ports less than 1024.

that's how i remember it without any Google-Fu.

It is actually 249 (2005 and earlier) and 999 (2008 and newer). I'd hate to see the system that has that many indexes on one table, though.

• yes, I have accepted the offer.Though I have still time to join any 😉

--rhythmk
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    To post your question use below link

https://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/forum-etiquette-how-to-post-datacode-on-a-forum-to-get-the-best-help
    🙂

• Sean Lange (9/19/2012)

rhythmk (9/18/2012)

Kingston Dhasian (9/18/2012)

Some of these questions seem valid to me as well

From your questions I feel that either

1. The interview panel was not experienced one and they have used "Google" to find "SQL Server Interview Questions" themselves OR

2. This is just an initial round

Anyways, your answers seem a bit rude to me in an interview

You could have politely said, "I don't remember the exact syntax as there is always Google and MSDN to help me out"

I have said this in some interviews and they were OK with it and say that they are only interested in the logic I use to solve the problem.

This was the final technical round of interview.

Even in first instance I also felt that they were actually not looking for exact answers.So I just replied like this should be around this number or like that. But after every reply they got back to me with actual number. e.g. For columns I told like it depends but he replied back with exact number 1024.Then for SQL functions I simply told that I used 10-12 function and named those, don't remember the excat number then he replied that these are 24 and like was got the exact number.

Even after few such type of questions I told him that "does the number really matters means we can get it on BOL or on Google in very first instance".Then he asked some questions on different sql concepts and asked me to write few queries.But later again he came back on the same bunch of questions.

But don't know perhaps he was not agreed with me or as if he was having a limited set of questions 🙂 I finally gave up by a sweet wink on my face that instead of hiring me better to have a Google search and I made sure he did not take that in wrong way 😉

Though he provided a good feedback and finally yesterday only HR offered me the position with my expectation 😉

Congrats!!! Did you accept?

Thanks Sean.I accepted it.

--rhythmk
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    To post your question use below link

https://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/forum-etiquette-how-to-post-datacode-on-a-forum-to-get-the-best-help
    🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply