Attaching/Detaching database with Multiple datafiles

• Hi ,

On one of my production environment i have one database with 21 DATAFILES . the requirement is to detach and attach the database with the different drive. Please let me how to proceed with this activity ( the reason being i am asking as the db has multiple datafiles ) . Can you please advice on the steps.

Thanks in advance

• You can detach and move the files to new loation and attach ..You can specify the location when u use the GUI

• Database Attach operation with sp_attach_db works well with the database having <= 16 datafiles. For more than 16 datafiles , we need to use CREATE DATABASE .. FOR ATTACH TSQL SCRIPT . Please correct me if am wrong.

• Have u tried using SSMS??

16 is right for sp_attach_db

• The sp_attach_db stored procedure should only be executed on databases that were previously detached from the database server by using an explicit sp_detach_db operation or on copied databases. If you have to specify more than 16 files, use CREATE DATABASE database_name FOR ATTACH ----

Please refer -- http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms179877.aspx

I need to understand what all things needs to be kept in mind before starting this operation.

Thanks

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply