Attaching database with missing full-text index?

• Here's my situation: the files of a database someone was keeping locally on a SQL Express instance on their machine got deleted (somehow while the SQL instance was actually running--still haven't managed to figure out how that was even possible, but that's by the by). I managed to use an undelete tool to recover all but one of the files. The one missing file is a full-text index catalogue, and given the size of the data I should be able to rebuild that in seconds--but SQL server won't let me attach the database because of the missing file!

Now, the chap assures me he doesn't really need this database anymore, but nonetheless the problem is bugging me; why would something as relatively unimportant, and easy to rebuild, as a full-text catalogue prevent reattaching the database? It seems ridiculous. Is there a workround for this?

• Please share the error!

• Directory lookup for the file "<redacted>" failed with the operating system error 3 (the system cannot find the path specified).

• Did you get anywhere with this Paul?

Couldn't find a way to do it, perhaps create a dummy file, or grab another FT index file from somewhere & rename it?

• I haven't had a chance to look at it...the question was mostly asked out of curiosity, because I find it incredible that something as unimportant and easily rebuilt as a full-text catalogue would prevent reattaching the database!

• Yep, you've piqued my curiosity too with this...

Might try it myself if I can find the time 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply