Attach and Detach

• Hi All,

Can we attach SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise edition Database in SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard edition ?

I think we can do it. But need confirmation.

Thank You.

Regards,
    Raghavender Chavva

• Raghavender (6/17/2011)

Can we attach SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise edition Database in SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard edition ?

I think we can do it. But need confirmation.

That's a downgrade, you can do it but a few extra steps are needed. Here http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sreekarm/archive/2010/08/12/downgrading-sql-server-enterprise-edition-to-standard-edition.aspx

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • Yes ... as you can pretty much attach and detach all MDF and LDf files within MSSQL especially withing the same version. Edition is not much of a role payers...meaning (standard vs enterprise)

DHeath

DHeath

• That link is for whole Instance downgrade....

I need only for one database.

Thank You.

Regards,
    Raghavender Chavva

• DHeath (6/17/2011)

Yes ... as you can pretty much attach and detach all MDF and LDf files within MSSQL especially withing the same version. Edition is not much of a role payers...meaning (standard vs enterprise)

DHeath

Thanks dude.... So we can do it.

Thank You.

Regards,
    Raghavender Chavva

• Providing you haven't used any persistent enterprise-specific features there should be no problem.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • It depends on the features used within the DB you are moving. If EE only features are in use, you won't be able to migrate the database to SE without having first removed the EE specific features.

The sys.dm_db_persisted_sku_features view will produce a list of edition specific features in use.

See the notes in this MSDN article for reference:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms345483.aspx

~Rusty

• Thanks Gila!!!

Thank You.

Regards,
    Raghavender Chavva

• Raghavender (6/17/2011)

That link is for whole Instance downgrade....

I need only for one database.

Sorry, my fault. I wrongly assumed instance downgrade.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply