Assignment of a value to a variable

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Assignment of a value to a variable

• That's correct: "an empty result set preserves the existing value of the variable", NO result set, NO assignment. In the case of SET or SELECT with a subquery (as shown below), it acts as an expression that always returns a value or NULL.

SELECT @j-2 = (SELECT j FROM #John WHERE 1=0);

SET @j-2 = (SELECT j FROM #John WHERE 1=0);

• Nuts! I wasn't paying attention.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Since answer 2 and 5 are the same, they can't be the correct answer. So that leads almost automatically to the right answer.

• I was curious that 2 and 5 were the same.  But that, in itself, doesn't make them wrong.

• It has happened once before that identical answers were correct. People who picked the "wrong" correct answer were later credited.

Puto me cogitare, ergo puto me esse.
    I think that I think, therefore I think that I am.

• Yeah, if we screw it up, we try to make it right.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Thanks, everybody, for your feedback.  I don't know how I managed to have the same answer twice, and it's six weeks now since I submitted the question.  I probably copied and pasted it but then forgot to edit it, or something.  Lucky I didn't omit the correct answer!  And I managed to let a typo into the final option as well.

John

• Great question, thanks John. Some typo doesn't matter, and the same two answers don't. After all, one correct answer rules out the remaining... Thanks also to Carlo Romagnano for clarifying that the use of SET or SELECT with a subquery always returns a value or NULL.

George

• Nice question,  thanks John

• Nice question, thx John!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply