Assign result of dynamic sql to variable

• Hello Everyone,

I have a problem

This is the result what i get from my function ufn_GetHcmDesignFields

ISNULL(cast( ExtTotalExperienceUS as nvarchar) + ',' , '') + ISNULL(cast( ExtRelevantExperienceUS as nvarchar) + ',' , '') + ISNULL(cast( ExtSSNNumber as nvarchar) + ',' , '') from HC_RESUME_BANK where RID = 31418

So, I wrote the following query to get the result (This will be used in a procedure)

Declare @query nvarchar(max)

set @query = dbo.ufn_GetHcmDesignFields(3, 31418)

--Exec @query

Declare @query1 nvarchar(max)

set @query1 = 'select' + @query

EXEC sp_executesql @query1

The problem is I want the final result from " EXEC sp_executesql @query1" to be set to a variable so that can use it in select. like

select Variable as Alias

Thanks in Advance,

Sanjay

• You can pass parameters to and from sp_executesql. See: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188001.aspx

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks Gail, Iam trying the following query and i get the error mentioned below.

set @query1 = N'Exec sp_executesql @query'

Declare @query2 nvarchar(max)

EXEC sp_executesql '@query1','@query2 nvarchar(max) output',@query2 output

select @query2 as Test

Msg 214, Level 16, State 2, Procedure sp_executesql, Line 1

Procedure expects parameter '@statement' of type 'ntext/nchar/nvarchar'.

As mentioned above My function returns a "Select query" I am trying to execute that using sp_executesql

Pls suggest.

Thanks in advance

Sanjay

• Your string literals need to be NVarchar, not Varchar, so N'string contents' rather than just 'string contents'

Also, @query1 shouldn't be in quotes, you want the executesql to execute the contents of that variable, not to try and execute the literal '@query1', which will just give you a syntax error.

set @query1 = N'Exec sp_executesql @query'

I have no clue why you're trying to do this, nested sp_executesql?? @Query1 should be the query you're trying to run, the SELECT @OutputVariable = ' + <function result>

All you needed to do was change the sp_executesql line in your original code and add the output variable into the SELECT

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• I modified the query to

EXEC sp_executesql N'@query','@query2 nvarchar(max) output',@query2 output

select @query2 as Test

I get the same error

• Your string literal need to be NVarchar, not Varchar.

@query shouldn't be in quotes, you want the executesql to execute the contents of that variable, not to try and execute the literal '@query', which will just give you a syntax error. You had it right in the original code.

The third parameter for sp_execute_sql is also incorrectly formed, go back and check the examples in the page I linked.

The value for @Query is just 'ISNULL(cast( ExtTotalExperienceUS as nvarchar) + ',' , '') + ISNULL(cast( ExtRelevantExperienceUS as nvarchar) + ',' , '') + ISNULL(cast( ExtSSNNumber as nvarchar) + ',' , '') from HC_RESUME_BANK where RID = 31418', which I'm sure you can see will throw a syntax error when run, as there's no SELECT and in addition you need to add @Query2 into that dynamic SQL to get the value assigned.

Gail Shaw

• sanjaydut26 (9/30/2016)

I modified the query to

EXEC sp_executesql N'@query','@query2 nvarchar(max) output',@query2 output

select @query2 as Test

I get the same error

Can you post the code for function dbo.ufn_GetHcmDesignFields, please? This process could easily be a maintenance nightmare. Let's get that out of the way.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Here is the function...

ALTER FUNCTION [dbo].[ufn_GetHcmDesignFields]

(

@ModuleId bigint, -- HCM_DESIGN_FIELDS moduleid with IsExtendable status 1

@RID bigInt -- table rid

)

RETURNS nvarchar(max)

AS

BEGIN

DECLARE @Return as nvarchar(max), @ExtFields nvarchar(max)

set @Return=''

Set @ExtFields = (STUFF((SELECT '+' + ' ISNULL(cast( ' + FieldName + ' as nvarchar) + '','' , '''') '

FROM HCM_DESIGN_FIELDS with(NOLOCK) where IsExtendable = 1 and ModuleID = @ModuleId FOR XML PATH ('')), 1, 1, ''))

Set @Return = ('select' + @ExtFields + 'from HC_RESUME_BANK where RID = ' + cast(@RID as nvarchar(max)) )

RETURN @Return

END

• sanjaydut26 (9/29/2016)

Hello Everyone,

I have a problem

This is the result what i get from my function ufn_GetHcmDesignFields

ISNULL(cast( ExtTotalExperienceUS as nvarchar) + ',' , '') + ISNULL(cast( ExtRelevantExperienceUS as nvarchar) + ',' , '') + ISNULL(cast( ExtSSNNumber as nvarchar) + ',' , '') from HC_RESUME_BANK where RID = 31418

So, I wrote the following query to get the result (This will be used in a procedure)

--Exec @query

set @query1 = 'select' + @query

EXEC sp_executesql @query1

The problem is I want the final result from " EXEC sp_executesql @query1" to be set to a variable so that can use it in select. like

select Variable as Alias

Thanks in Advance,

Sanjay

You said that you are planning to return the result as "SELECT @YourVariable AS SomeAlias" right? And from what I see in your dynamic query you are only returning a single field. An easy way to acomplish what you want is with a temp table to store the result, since temp tables exists thru the whole process you could do the following:

CREATE TABLE #tmp(

Field NVARCHAR(MAX)

);

DECLARE @Query NVARCHAR(MAX);

SET @Query = dbo.ufn_GetHcmDesignFields(3, 31418);

--Exec @Query

SET @Query = N'

INSERT INTO #tmp(

Field

)

SELECT ' + @Query;

EXEC sp_executesql @Query;

SELECT

Field AS SomeAlias

FROM

#tmp

;

A. Mauricio Repetto
    ML Engineer

• sanjaydut26 (10/2/2016)

Here is the function...

(

@RID bigInt -- table rid

)

RETURNS nvarchar(max)

AS

BEGIN

set @Return=''

Set @ExtFields = (STUFF((SELECT '+' + ' ISNULL(cast( ' + FieldName + ' as nvarchar) + '','' , '''') '

FROM HCM_DESIGN_FIELDS with(NOLOCK) where IsExtendable = 1 and ModuleID = @ModuleId FOR XML PATH ('')), 1, 1, ''))

Set @Return = ('select' + @ExtFields + 'from HC_RESUME_BANK where RID = ' + cast(@RID as nvarchar(max)) )

RETURN @Return

END

What's the reason for jumping through hoops to construct what is essentially a very simple query? Where's the benefit?

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• sanjaydut26 (10/2/2016)

Here is the function...

(

@RID bigInt -- table rid

)

RETURNS nvarchar(max)

AS

BEGIN

set @Return=''

RETURN @Return

END

It almost looks to me that you dont know what the fields are in the table HCM_DESIGN_FIELDS. Or maybe you are trying to account for the situation where the fields get added or replaced. I would be very careful here. If a underlying table gets changed, you may want it to error out so that you are aware of the change. Otherwise you will have a procedure that reports different fields as time goes by nullifying any documentation and expectations of it.

It really looks no different to me than a Select *.

----------------------------------------------------

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply