asp & msaccess problem

• i have a jobsite

http://www.jobsdhundo.com

iam using msaccess as the backend and asp in front end. as it is a jobsite, data is too much, so i have made seperate database for candidates and employers..

but they also need to have common tables, like city, country, states etc,etc, which are currently available in candidates.mdb

i tried to use link tables in emp.mdb, but how do i acces through an asp page, it gives an error..

when i use that query directly in msacces it works, but when i use that same query from an asp page, citytable not found, citytable is in candidates.mdb, which is linked in emp.mdb

and also

AFTER MAKING THE LINK TABLES, THERE DATAPATH IS GOING TO CHANGE IN WEBHOSTING SERVER, HOW CAN I CHANGE DATA PATH FOR LINK TABLES ??

<a href="http://www.websolsoftware.com"> For IT jobs click here</a>

*Sukhoi*[font="Arial Narrow"][/font]

• Whilst it sounds a little drastic, Best advice is to move to a better DB server model, most hosting companies will provide some form of relational database (MySQL, SQL Server etc) it will resolve a lot of your current and foreseable issues along with with gioving you a much more scalable and robust model in case your site takes off and you need to upsize.

On a different note, you need to look at your page formating, it displays with lots of errors in IE and firefox.

• can you define `data is too much`?

im sure i remember trying/reading a long time ago that you cant access linked tables in the way your trying, though someone please prove me wrong!

You could always have your asp access both databases directly at the same time, rather than accessing one database plus the second linked to the first. Pull data from the first, and use it to run seperate queries on the second.

maybe this is a prime oportunity to try .net+sql server

martin

• Add these 3 lines to your asp code to get the data path:

Set fso = Server.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

Full_ASP_FILE_PATH = Server.mapPath(Request.ServerVariables("PATH_INFO"))

PATH_ONLY = fso.getParentFolderName(Full_ASP_FILE_PATH)

• but dear sir you are not getting my problem

i have 2 seperate mdb

one which stores employers records

and one which stores candidates records

but both of these mdb files have common tables like country master

state master & city master

and these masters are in candidates.mdb

and iam using countrymaster

statemaster

citymaster

as link tables in emp.mdb

i can access them when i run a query in msaccess , but when i run the same query from an asp page, it fails, its says those table name doesn't exist

you got wht the problem is??

i need to use link tables, and i want to access them from an asp pages

becoz they are used in joins.

at this point database cannot be changed, mssql is too costly and mysql is cumbersome, it doesn't have good GUI

thanks

<a href="http://www.websolsoftware.com"> For IT jobs click here</a>

*Sukhoi*[font="Arial Narrow"][/font]

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply