Arrays / Time Series Data

• I am trying to process time series data. Specifically, I have 15-min data (96 intervals a day) that I need to manipulate (add, subtract, multiply, etc). I am looking for a way to quickly perform arithmetic in Sql Server using time series data. Currently, I am doing the arithmetic in a stored proc or cursor where I select int001, int002, ... , int096. There must be an easier way. Any help is greatly appreciated.

• So you have 96 columns? Could you post DDL for the table and maybe a couple inserts with sample data, plus a sample of the calculation you're trying to do?

Andy

• Example:

TableA has columns id, int001 ... 1nt096

TableB has columns id, int001 ... int096

I want to multiple a row in A times a row in B. I currently am doing an insert into table c as select a.int001 * b.int001, etc. I know there must be a better way to store and/or process the data. Could I convert the time series data into a single value and store it in only one column? Can I use UDFs to manipulate the data quickly?

Edited by - sdonoghu on 03/11/2002 6:07:04 PM

• Not sure that UDF would really help you, at best would just clean up the statement a little. Not sure how you could compress it all into one value, other than XML which isn't really the same thing. You could put all the code into a view or an indexed view to make working with it everywhere else a little easier. Only other option would be to change the columns to rows so that you would have a table consisting of pkey, batchid (which would could be the day), interval name, and interval value.

Are you trying to achieve speed or elegance? Or both?!

Andy

• Can you post your SP so I can fully understand what you want to accomplish. Looks like you want to just multiply TableAs columns by there counterpart in TableB.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply