Arithmetic overflow error converting numeric to data type numeric.

• Hi Friends,

I am facing an problem like "Arithmetic overflow error converting numeric to data type numeric."

I have an table variable and the sum of column is '1029097.95790000' Datatype is NUMERIC(38,8)

what i am trying to do is to insert the above result of the table variable to the final table but the final table column Datatype is NUMERIC(11,6)

how is it possiable can any one help me on this

Need help? Help us help you.

• The precision and scale of your datatype is not large enough to support that number at that accuracy.

Your current dataype can support Five digits in front of the decimal and Six after so you can either change the datatype or change the precision of the number, but be aware that you will be losing accuracy.

• Tks for ur rply is it possiable to use cast or convert function their...

• steveb. (10/31/2011)

The precision and scale of your datatype is not large enough to support that number at that accuracy.

Your current dataype can support Five digits in front of the decimal and Six after so you can either change the datatype or change the precision of the number, but be aware that you will be losing accuracy.

How could i change the precision of the number....Is their any otheir way to load

• tommey152 (10/31/2011)

steveb. (10/31/2011)

The precision and scale of your datatype is not large enough to support that number at that accuracy.

How could i change the precision of the number....Is their any otheir way to load

Change the data type.

That number is never going to fit in that datatype as you have 7 digits in front of the decimal and your datatype will only allow 5.

so either change the datatype or change the number

• either change the column so that its the same as the original column being imported, or convert the value on the insert, but make sure that when you convert that the values which come out are the values you want as it will round up or round down depending on the values, also check with the business that the values should be rounded up or down and not left up to SQL to decide as you may have to write some code to always round up or always round down

• I would start looking for

select ... from sourcetable where yourcol > 99999.999999

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Thanks 4ur rply guys......What i need is to load it like this '1029.9579' is their any way help me

• to move the decimal place divide or multiple by a factor of 10..

eg

select CAST( round((1029097.95790000/1000),5) as numeric(10,6))

• Sry apologize me.....What i need is to load it like this ''1029097.9'' is their any way help me

What i xactly need is to remove all the fields after the decimal, but infront of the decimal should not be changed...

• tommey152 (10/31/2011)

Sry apologize me.....What i need is to load it like this ''1029097.9'' is their any way help me

What i xactly need is to remove all the fields after the decimal, but infront of the decimal should not be changed...

no. You declared the column. 11,6 so, Max 5positions before the decimal point.

Your alternative is to modify the column definition.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply