Are You Ready To Change Your Work Environment?

• I attempted to work from home for a few days.  But technical issues with my VPN/Internet and the fact that I really did not have a good place to work from (trying to work from a roll top desk squeezed in the corner of our bedroom). I did like the freedom to spend a little time with my wife.  We are also watching our granddaughter (15 months old), which is a bit of a challenge all around (she loves her grand father).  Being at work now is interesting since most of my co-workers are working from home.  It pretty quiet around here most of the time.

• I actually just entered semi-retirement (may work again if I find something I really enjoy, low bureaucracy, etc.), but I'm with Steve. I'm fairly introverted but I find full-time WFH nearly intolerable; I need to see other people!  For the past few years I was able to work from home a couple days a week and I found that to be my happy medium, allowing good personal interaction, and the flexibility during WFH days to go running whenever the weather was optimal!

• -=JLK=- wrote:

This is my first time doing telework full time.  It's been just over a month and we have one more month to go.  It has worked out so well that management is adjusting the telework policy to allow up-to three days a week telework with manager approval after we go back.

I'm really liking this as it's quite and much more productive, though I haven't found the meetings have gotten any less, actually they have increased.  Management is in love with Zoom, and I have to say that with screen share it does work out for general team collaboration, between that and Visual Studio "live" sharing sessions it is actually better than being in the office where you have to look over someones shoulder.

I'm voting for continued telework!

James.

Ummmm... Management might want to consider changing to something other than Zoom or at least change their credentials.  Please see the following article for why... DeyBinHacked! 😀

https://www.pcmag.com/news/login-credentials-for-over-500000-zoom-accounts-on-sale-via-the-dark-web

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I was working from home part time (3 days/week) but now, since first week of March, have been full time working from home and I'm loving it. Don't really want to go back to working in the office. Manager is now considering having us all work from home full time 🙂

• I prefer the office but could bear working from home a couple days a week in the future.  However what I cannot bear is working from home indefinitely while also taking care of a very active 4 year old.  My wife works at a hospital and I am left to clothe, feed, entertain, and educate my son whilst attempting to produce acceptable output for my company.

This is my first time working from home (other than sick child days) and I am a bit jaded.  But my view is presently extremely skewed from the optimal work from home compromise.

While my company may remain telecommuting for the foreseeable future I anxiously await even limited re-opening of childcare centers.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by  doysheaf. Reason: markdown formatting
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by  Steve Jones - SSC Editor.
  • I've been working from home 1 day a week for the last few years, and the transition to full-time from home works just fine for me. I have no desire to return to an over-crowded noisy office and even less desire to ride congested public transit to get there. I'm lucky in having a quiet home and a dedicated work space that I can walk away from at the end of the day. Without those, it could well be a different story.

My employer is very proud of their office environment, activity-based working and collaborative (aka meeting-heavy) way of working, so it will be interesting to see how much of this they will be forced to amend in the new order.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply