Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GilaMonster (8/24/2012)

Jeff Moden (8/23/2012)

GilaMonster (8/23/2012)

Data archiving. Can't use partition swaps because it's standard edition.

Have you considered partitioned views?

Create a new table every month, alter the view to include that and exclude the oldest month's table? Eeep, no.

Besides, I'm also not allowed to do such a thing because part of their app does schema mods. It wouldn't break with a partitioned table (because that still looks like a table to any tool that doesn't check the location the object is created), but it would if I replaced a view with a table.

I've had pretty good luck with automating such a thing but I also understand why that's not always possible. Thanks for the feedback, Gail.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (8/24/2012)

GilaMonster (8/24/2012)

Jeff Moden (8/23/2012)

GilaMonster (8/23/2012)

Data archiving. Can't use partition swaps because it's standard edition.

Have you considered partitioned views?

Create a new table every month, alter the view to include that and exclude the oldest month's table? Eeep, no.

Besides, I'm also not allowed to do such a thing because part of their app does schema mods. It wouldn't break with a partitioned table (because that still looks like a table to any tool that doesn't check the location the object is created), but it would if I replaced a view with a table.

I've had pretty good luck with automating such a thing but I also understand why that's not always possible.

I probably could, but it falls into the 'more hassle than it's actually worth' category in this case. Got large enough maintenance window (the entire weekend every weekend) to go the simple and brute force approach.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Fal (8/24/2012)

I need to deal with a critical issue, but unfortunately fixing it keeps getting bumped. I was wondering what metaphors Threadizens might have to describe just how low the priority of a project can go.

So far I have two. "Priority is so low..."

1) ...that deep sea creatures stare in fascination at the strange blob that sometimes rises out of the deepest, darkest crevasse in the very bottom of the ocean

2) ...that the project is lodged in the drainage hole in the lowest basement of hell

Any others??

Steve.

One I've used: "This project's priority is lower than the background entropy of the universe. Consequently, I sincerely doubt that it will ever be completed."

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Fal (8/24/2012)

I need to deal with a critical issue, but unfortunately fixing it keeps getting bumped. I was wondering what metaphors Threadizens might have to describe just how low the priority of a project can go.

7. ... that it lies at about the ethics level of mortgage lenders.

8. ... that Klingons have a higher rating on the compassion scale.

9. ... it's being piloted by a submarine captain.

10. ... it needs Enzite.

11. ... it got under Hydrogen on the elemental tables.

12. ... it's scoring like a 4th grader doing calculus.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• I completely spaced asking, but who from The Thread is going to be here in OKC for #sqlsat125?

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• It's potential energy is negative to the entire universe.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Evil Kraig F (8/24/2012)

Fal (8/24/2012)

10. ... it needs Enzite.

Since I was in the submarine service...

13. ... it's lower than Whale poop in the Marianas.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Grant Fritchey (8/24/2012)

I completely spaced asking, but who from The Thread is going to be here in OKC for #sqlsat125?

Im going to be at #sqlsat154 in St Louis and am unfortunatly going to miss your presentation on the sept. 11 in St. Louis due to previous engagements. (read Work)

For faster help in answering any problems Please read How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help - Jeff Moden[/url] for the best way to ask your question.

For performance Issues see how we like them posted here: How to Post Performance Problems - Gail Shaw[/url]

Need to Split some strings? Jeff Moden's DelimitedSplit8K[/url]
    Jeff Moden's Cross tab and Pivots Part 1[/url]
    Jeff Moden's Cross tab and Pivots Part 2[/url]

• GilaMonster (8/24/2012)

It's potential energy is negative to the entire universe.

WHICH entire universe?

How about:

It's so low that it's at the bottom of every universe in the many-worlds interpretation.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Evil Kraig F (8/24/2012)

Fal (8/24/2012)

10. ... it needs Enzite.

Y'all are making my morning. I have a couple of these issues sitting out there waiting for some attention. Thought I was going to actually tackle one of them today.

Until an email from one of our C-suite folks showed up in my inbox last night. 🙂

-Ki

• Fal (8/24/2012)

14... It has the Planck priority, PP

• Yes, they are. http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1350342-1549-1.aspx

Unless it's a language problem, he's a consultant or contractor. Either the client's asking for something that is not in his listed skills or....

Gail Shaw

• Hey, all. Have you seen this article about autism?

Autism & Immunity Disorders

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• SQL Kiwi (8/27/2012)

Fal (8/24/2012)

All the Universe-related quips have inspired me:

"...that even Stephen Hawking doubts time exists for it."

Steve.

• Fal (8/27/2012)

SQL Kiwi (8/27/2012)

Fal (8/24/2012)

All the Universe-related quips have inspired me:

"...that even Stephen Hawking doubts time exists for it."

HA! I like that one.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Viewing 15 posts - 37,636 through 37,650 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply