Are the posted questions getting worse?

• rodjkidd (7/24/2012)

Going slightly mad at the moment at work.

Auditing 300 odd instances.

We have a internal database for cataloging these but;

So far they can be broken down in to the following categories

On the same domain to me and I can connect remotely

On one of 3 other domains and I can RDP

On one of 3 other domains and someone forgot to add me into the Remote Desktop group

The info in the internal db has the wrong instance names

SQL server has since been removed from the server

Or the server has an alias and i can't connect to the name listed

Managed to connect to all the local domain ones really quickly (obviously)...

I've lost count of how many RDP sessions I have logged into over the last two days.

I thought I'd almost finished and then realised I hadn't started quite at the top of the spreadsheet... Thud... 58 still to go.

Oh well there goes most of tomorrow!

Arh the light relief of SSC forums! And twitter!

Rodders...

I feel you pain - been there.

You may look into Microsoft Autopilot.

• Kiara (7/24/2012)

Stefan Krzywicki (7/24/2012)

The install order was the first thing I thought of. I'd say it is worth a try. I've seen that kind of thing with other products, but haven't with these specific two.

Thanks for the confirmation on my thought process - I'll try it and see what happens.

Quick followup - it worked. Things seem to be back to normal.

-Ki

• Kiara (7/25/2012)

Kiara (7/24/2012)

Stefan Krzywicki (7/24/2012)

The install order was the first thing I thought of. I'd say it is worth a try. I've seen that kind of thing with other products, but haven't with these specific two.

Thanks for the confirmation on my thought process - I'll try it and see what happens.

Quick followup - it worked. Things seem to be back to normal.

Excellent!

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Please join me in reporting this and all other posts of this nature by this person. This has got to stop. If anyone of us made such regular ad hominem and vicious attacks, we'd be banned from this site for life.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1335109.aspx

I'd talk more about it but I'm busy removing his name and all references to any of his books from all of my presentation materials. I can also guarantee you that I'll never attend one of his presentations nor ever read one of his articles ever again.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (7/25/2012)

Please join me in reporting this and all other posts of this nature by this person. This has got to stop. If anyone of us made such regular ad hominem and vicious attacks, we'd be banned from this site for life.

I'd talk more about it but I'm busy removing his name and all references to any of his books from all of my presentation materials. I can also guarantee you that I'll never attend one of his presentations nor ever read one of his articles ever again.

Sounds like a bad manager always pointing out the negative. That particular post struck a nerve. I thought he was getting better with his posts.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Jeff Moden (7/25/2012)

Please join me in reporting this and all other posts of this nature by this person. This has got to stop. If anyone of us made such regular ad hominem and vicious attacks, we'd be banned from this site for life.

Just out of interest, SQLTeam banned him over a year ago, because of the repeated insults.

He's never been listed in any of mine, for exactly this reason.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Jeff Moden (7/25/2012)

Not to mention that he's frequently wrong, but has all these credentials listed to make him look like an authority.

We never use IDENTITY in RDBMS.

Bull! Maybe he doesn't, but that doesn't make his statement correct.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.

• Stefan Krzywicki (7/25/2012)

Not to mention that he's frequently wrong, but has all these credentials listed to make him look like an authority.

I've started replying to those kinds of statements and correcting him. Never get a reply, but then I don;t expect to.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (7/25/2012)

Stefan Krzywicki (7/25/2012)

I've started replying to those kinds of statements and correcting him. Never get a reply, but then I don;t expect to.

I didn't because I didn't want to pile on and distract from the OP's question. Enough that a few people are doing it. Unless the consensus is that I should when I see it.

• Stefan Krzywicki (7/25/2012)

I didn't because I didn't want to pile on and distract from the OP's question. Enough that a few people are doing it. Unless the consensus is that I should when I see it.

I agree that we shouldn't take away from an OPs thread by dog piling on this guy but dog piling on reporting it to SSC may finally drive the point home with SSC.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (7/25/2012)

I agree that we shouldn't take away from an OPs thread by dog piling on this guy but dog piling on reporting it to SSC may finally drive the point home with SSC.

I did report it with "Abusive and wrong"

• Taking a tangent...

I've blogged about this subject before, but didn't get much of a response other than a few laughs from people who thought I was wrong. Now, someone got dinged and I thought I'd spread the word.

http://www.roniloren.com/blog/2012/7/20/bloggers-beware-you-can-get-sued-for-using-pics-on-your-blog.html#disqus_thread

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Revenant (7/24/2012)

rodjkidd (7/24/2012)

Going slightly mad at the moment at work.

Auditing 300 odd instances.

We have a internal database for cataloging these but;

So far they can be broken down in to the following categories

On the same domain to me and I can connect remotely

On one of 3 other domains and I can RDP

On one of 3 other domains and someone forgot to add me into the Remote Desktop group

The info in the internal db has the wrong instance names

SQL server has since been removed from the server

Or the server has an alias and i can't connect to the name listed

Managed to connect to all the local domain ones really quickly (obviously)...

I've lost count of how many RDP sessions I have logged into over the last two days.

I thought I'd almost finished and then realised I hadn't started quite at the top of the spreadsheet... Thud... 58 still to go.

Oh well there goes most of tomorrow!

Arh the light relief of SSC forums! And twitter!

Rodders...

I feel you pain - been there.

You may look into Microsoft Autopilot.

Thanks Reverant. I was actually going cross eyed yesterday do the same thing over and over again. Got to admit I did think there were better ways of doing this, but it does have a couple of small advantages;

I'm still feeling my way around here, lots of systems, lots of dbs.

My access doesn't seem to have been set up right, some glaring holes on domains I should have full admin on.

Finding a new (well to me) domain that no-one has told me about.

So I'll have a nice list of servers I can't access to give to my line manger when he's back from holiday!

I will take a look at autopilot.

On a plus note actually had two bits of planned work to do today, so had "fun" with SSIS configurations. And explaining why you shouldn't have two columns called ID in a one query. Me = "yes I know it works in SSMS but it's forgiving. And no it doesn't work via the client app"

Down to 52 servers to audit. As I found another multi instance one first thing.

Rodders...

• Jeff Moden (7/25/2012)

So, what does everyone think of this post?

• Brandie Tarvin (7/25/2012)

Taking a tangent...

I've blogged about this subject before, but didn't get much of a response other than a few laughs from people who thought I was wrong. Now, someone got dinged and I thought I'd spread the word.

http://www.roniloren.com/blog/2012/7/20/bloggers-beware-you-can-get-sued-for-using-pics-on-your-blog.html#disqus_thread

In my limited and obscure blogging, I've only used pics I've taken so far. But there's a weird area here. If you take a picture of an album cover or book cover, etc... it is usable even though it is someone else's work, if you are talking about the thing you've taken a picture of under the "fair use" doctrine.

Also, if you're using something with a Creative Commons license, please be sure to cite the owner, not the site from which you got the pic. Major publications get this wrong all the time.

Viewing 15 posts - 37,006 through 37,020 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply