Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Lynn Pettis (6/15/2012)

Brandie Tarvin (6/15/2012)

Craig, I read the "Devil" comment to refer to the evil commenters who make people post things like "please don't flame" and "put me over the whipping stool". I don't think it was meant for you.

But I have a history of misreading things in my haste to get through the posts.

Brandie, It looks like Craig's comment was taken out of context. The person he was talking about being put over the whipping stoool was himself, not someone else.

On target, Lynn. I knew I was oversimplifying to people who know I know better so I merely wanted to express that I wasn't trying to get into the nitty gritty before the conversation re-tangented. 🙂 And, I *did* say 'put me over the whipping stool', that's a direct quote from one of my posts. :hehe:

What I'm not understanding is why me commenting like that, about myself, is a problem. *shrugs*

And no, Gail, you didn't make me have to say it, I just figured I'd nip some comments in the butt before it went off in that direction... also so anyone else reading the thread would know it went deeper into the rabbit hole then the simple scenario I presented.

*scratches head sheepishly* Just not getting the concern. *shrugs*

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Craig,

I don't have a Rubber Ducky. Can I borrow yours, please?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (6/15/2012)

You know, it's a really sad state of affairs when the actions of a few bad posters start giving us enough of a reputation that someone has to post the following:

*** I did not set this server up it was dumped on me*** Please don't flame

Maybe someone's been Celkoed at some point? Or maybe his/her management is good at ranting and flaming so he assumes everyone does it?

Of course, someone set up a job that deletes old backups without checking that the new ones actually exist (let alone checking that they are valid backups) so maybe they are right to be a bit apprehensive; but it's not for us to rant at him, just to help him recover his database.

Tom

• Brandie Tarvin (6/15/2012)

Craig,

Here's the best I've got for now...

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

• Evil Kraig F (6/17/2012)

Brandie Tarvin (6/15/2012)

Craig,

Here's the best I've got for now...

Thanks. I'll see if I can explain things to him. If not, I'll just assume he's defective.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Thanks for the virtual vs. local comments. I've been wanting to rebuild in virtuals for awhile (the reasons my dev environment currently is local requires a late night over alcohol whilst sharing bad geek stories), but I'm being the typical shoemaker's kid. I'm resisting carving out the time to reorganize my current environment, even though it will make managing it much easier in the long run.

You guys were exactly the push I needed to remember to do it right, the way I want it set up, not just reinstall as is simply because it requires less thought.

Many thanks!

-Ki

• What I'm not understanding is why me commenting like that, about myself, is a problem. *shrugs*

Again, it's about context within the arc where people may be feeling that they had to put up a "guard" of sorts to keep others from attacking them. It appeared to me, just like the other post that Brandie quoted, that you had felt you had to proactively throw up a defense against some kind of attack against your personhood...or whatever. It's not about you ( 😉 ) but another point in support of Brandie's position that some are feeling that way. If I took your posting inappropriately, then I apologize, but I still feel it's a sample data point that some are not comfortable posting questions because of reactions, deserved or not.

• ACinKC (6/18/2012)

It appeared to me, just like the other post that Brandie quoted, that you had felt you had to proactively throw up a defense against some kind of attack against your personhood...or whatever. It's not about you ( 😉 ) but another point in support of Brandie's position that some are feeling that way.

Ah, I grok now. I was afraid I was part of the problem in some way I wasn't seeing.

Yeah, no, I'm all good. Thick skin and all that, it's the internet. Celko gets me more than a lot of the random belligerance, mostly because he should know better and because he's got a "name". Thanks for helping to clarify that, though.

That said, I'm not above a bit of heavy handed-ness myself. Always good to be reminded what's funny or joking to me when I write it doesn't always come off that way. IE: Rubber Duckies. *shrugs*

Oh Gods! I'm Human! Damn My Humanity!!!!!! I'm SORRY!!!! *runs off to the corner, crying his eyes out, examining rusty spoons to carve his heart out with*

*blinks* What? Why are you all looking at me like that? 😉

- Craig Farrell

• And JC went off on a rant again..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Jan Van der Eecken (6/18/2012)

And JC went off on a rant again..

Meh, I can't be bothered to de-rant him this time. Someone else do it...

- Craig Farrell

• Evil Kraig F (6/18/2012)

Jan Van der Eecken (6/18/2012)

I was thinking of it, but I decided not to. Too much effort at 2AM... Shame for the OP though. Then again, Gail gave him the right hint anyhow (and he doesn't want to listen).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Jan Van der Eecken (6/18/2012)

Evil Kraig F (6/18/2012)

Jan Van der Eecken (6/18/2012)

I was thinking of it, but I decided not to. Too much effort at 2AM... Shame for the OP though. Then again, Gail gave him the right hint anyhow (and he doesn't want to listen).

Nah - that wasn't bad. It really isn't as bad as it used to be - and this time he has a good point.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Ladies, Gentlemen, and Threadizens of all shapes and sizes! Come one, come all for the latest news of the day!

Me, your humble dba, from out of the blue, happened to have thrown into his lap the proverbial dream job. (Or did it fall from the sky and bean me? Either way, it's a silver platter.) It seems like it is everything that I always wanted - indeed my dream job. So today, I've submitted my resignation with my company. (Actually, I submitted it last week, and just turned down their counter-offer today, but hey, whose splitting hairs here???)

I'll be starting the new job in a couple of weeks. I'll be a DBA with a small company that some of you'll in the northeast corridor might have heard about... Ntirety. I do believe that this is going to be an awesome experience, and am looking forward to working with these fine guys and gals.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS (6/18/2012)

I'll be starting the new job in a couple of weeks. I'll be a DBA with a small company that some of you'll in the northeast corridor might have heard about... Ntirety. I do believe that this is going to be an awesome experience, and am looking forward to working with these fine guys and gals.

Congratz Wayne! Glad to hear you're happy about it!

- Craig Farrell

• Evil Kraig F (6/18/2012)

WayneS (6/18/2012)

Congratz Wayne! Glad to hear you're happy about it!

Thanks Craig. Though I have to admit that I was real saddened to turn in my resignation - I really like the folks out there.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

Viewing 15 posts - 36,526 through 36,540 (of 66,622 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply