Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Grant Fritchey (3/24/2011)

Gianluca Sartori (3/24/2011)

Grant Fritchey (3/24/2011)

Roy Ernest (3/24/2011)

You all really think Boston and SA is on top of the list of bad traffic? You should check the traffic in India. Especially Calcutta. Forget the taxis, we have got the 3 wheeled things (Auto Rickshaw) that drives you nuts. In india there is a saying that if you spread your legs a bit, the Auto rickshaw will drive between it. 😀

Nah, Boston isn't bad compared to other places on the planet. It's just bad compared to other places in the US.

I thought that it was the same thing (in your opinion, at least). 😀

Good gosh no. I'm not a native. I come from a place where people actually know how to drive (as long as it's not snowing).

Aren't you American, Grant?

I wanted to say "your opinion" as Americans, but I see it is very poorly worded.

Sorry, I meant I'm not from Boston. I grew up in a sane place, Oklahoma.

Wow, I'm not touching that with a ten-foot haystack...

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Stefan Krzywicki (3/24/2011)

Roy Ernest (3/24/2011)

You all really think Boston and SA is on top of the list of bad traffic? You should check the traffic in India. Especially Calcutta. Forget the taxis, we have got the 3 wheeled things (Auto Rickshaw) that drives you nuts. In india there is a saying that if you spread your legs a bit, the Auto rickshaw will drive between it. 😀

Nah, Boston isn't bad compared to other places on the planet. It's just bad compared to other places in the US.

Good gosh no. I'm not a native. I come from a place where people actually know how to drive (as long as it's not snowing).

I wanted to say "your opinion" as Americans, but I see it is very poorly worded.

My fiance is from Edmond and she disputes that Oklahoma is a "sane" place. She'd also like to know what part of OK you're from.

The fact that she's engaged to you may put the lie to that claim. :w00t::-P

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (3/24/2011)

Stefan Krzywicki (3/24/2011)

Roy Ernest (3/24/2011)

My fiance is from Edmond and she disputes that Oklahoma is a "sane" place. She'd also like to know what part of OK you're from.

The fact that she's engaged to you may put the lie to that claim. :w00t::-P

So you're saying that being engaged to me makes her sane? Thanks!

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (3/24/2011)

CirquedeSQLeil (3/24/2011)

As far as bad drivers goes, Las Vegas takes all of the bad habits from all over the country (including many from overseas) and combines them into one place.

Yeah but since the avg speed on the highways is 26mph and 14mph in town, they can't do too much damage.

You can't take the strip into that account. 26 on the strip is fast.

On the highways and surface streets, if you ain't going 25 over - then get off the road.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Roy Ernest (3/24/2011)

Tulsa. I grew up on the east side and went to Union High School.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Kiara (3/24/2011)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (3/24/2011)

Brandie Tarvin (3/24/2011)

Kiara (3/24/2011)

The movie named Starship Troopers seems to have only shared its title with the actual book... *sigh*

True (rumored) fact. Starship Troopers started out as a different movie which blew its budget and was about to be canned. The studio suddenly got the rights to ST and told the director "we'll let you off the hook if you make this instead." So he reused all his footage from the bug movie and used the new budget he got for ST, threw them together, and that's why the movie is so horrid.

I actually enjoyed Starship Troopers as a silly sci-fi flick. Course it isn't the book, but I wonder how many people would enjoy the book as a movie. It has so much introspection from the main character that I wonder if it translates well? I'm trying to get my 12 year old to read the book since it was one of my favorite Heinleins.

I think the only way it would translate is if it was done in a voice-over narrative style - and then I'm not sure that anyone but die-hard fans of the novel would be enthusiastic about it.

I've finally given up trying to convince my 13 year old to love the same books I did - sometimes it works, but the pacing and writing styles seem alien to him. Of course, now I'm going to have to go pull out Have Space Suit, Will Travel and see if I can get him interested...

One of the best opening lines ever: "You see, I had this space suit..." 🙂

My kids loved "Have Spacesuit Will Travel" but I can't get them to get into "Starship Troopers" at all.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• "Have Spacesuit, Will Travel" is one of my favorites. Try out "Citizen of the Galaxy" too. These books hooked me on Heinlein. While I really like "Starship Troopers", it has a bit more of a politcal orientation than an adventure one. Probably easier to hook him onto the book with adventure ones. "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" is also became one of my favorites. Although, I do not have any kind words for his later stuff ("The Number of the Beast", "The Cat Who Walked Through Walls"), but "Friday" was decent. I like Heinlein's classic stuff.

The movie "Starship Troopers" was almost as bad as "Dune - the movie based on a title by Frank Herbert" the one that starred Sting. That movie is at the top of my list of absolutely horrible translations from book to movie. (Yes, I really loathe that movie. :-P) "Starship Troopers" was bad, but not as bad as "Dune."

-- Kit

• Kit G (3/24/2011)

"Have Spacesuit, Will Travel" is one of my favorites. Try out "Citizen of the Galaxy" too. These books hooked me on Heinlein. While I really like "Starship Troopers", it has a bit more of a politcal orientation than an adventure one. Probably easier to hook him onto the book with adventure ones. "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" is also became one of my favorites. Although, I do not have any kind words for his later stuff ("The Number of the Beast", "The Cat Who Walked Through Walls"), but "Friday" was decent. I like Heinlein's classic stuff.

The movie "Starship Troopers" was almost as bad as "Dune - the movie based on a title by Frank Herbert" the one that starred Sting. That movie is at the top of my list of absolutely horrible translations from book to movie. (Yes, I really loathe that movie. :-P) "Starship Troopers" was bad, but not as bad as "Dune."

When I was a kid I loved The Star Beast and The Rolling Stones.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.

• Kit G (3/24/2011)

"Have Spacesuit, Will Travel" is one of my favorites. Try out "Citizen of the Galaxy" too. These books hooked me on Heinlein. While I really like "Starship Troopers", it has a bit more of a politcal orientation than an adventure one. Probably easier to hook him onto the book with adventure ones. "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" is also became one of my favorites. Although, I do not have any kind words for his later stuff ("The Number of the Beast", "The Cat Who Walked Through Walls"), but "Friday" was decent. I like Heinlein's classic stuff.

Agreed - my real love affair with Starship Troopers started in college, not prior - for exactly that reason.

The Sting Dune movie? You *had* to bring that up? *shudder*

I didn't actually walk out of the theater, but I came close...

Then again, the only movie I've actually ever walked out on was a horrid comic book adaption of Red Sonja many, many years ago. I occasionally debate trying to find a copy of it and holding a "worst movie EVAH" night... I'm just not sure I want to survive some of the selections my friends would bring...

-Ki

Kit G (3/24/2011)

When I was a kid I loved The Star Beast and The Rolling Stones.

Oooh... I haven't thought about The Star Beast in *years*. Must check when I get home and see if I still have a copy!

-Ki

• Kiara (3/24/2011)

Kit G (3/24/2011)

Agreed - my real love affair with Starship Troopers started in college, not prior - for exactly that reason.

Then again, the only movie I've actually ever walked out on was a horrid comic book adaption of Red Sonja many, many years ago. I occasionally debate trying to find a copy of it and holding a "worst movie EVAH" night... I'm just not sure I want to survive some of the selections my friends would bring...

If you make it a contest and want to win, show Incubus in the original Esperanto. Sitting through that movie was challenging and I like bad movies.

Kiara (3/24/2011)

Kit G (3/24/2011)

If you make it a contest and want to win, show Incubus in the original Esperanto. Sitting through that movie was challenging and I like bad movies.

Ooh, I'm jealous. I haven't seen that one. You'd be hard pressed to name a classic bad film that I haven't seen at least once.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

Kiara (3/24/2011)

Kit G (3/24/2011)

Ooh, I'm jealous. I haven't seen that one. You'd be hard pressed to name a classic bad film that I haven't seen at least once.

When I was in college a friend of mine and I were sent by our group of friends to go get movies to watch that night. We came back with The Wild, Wild World of Batwoman (this was before MST3K showed it) and Haunted Hillbilly Mansion. After that night we weren't allowed to go pick the movies without supervision.

Kiara (3/24/2011)

Kit G (3/24/2011)

I haven't seen it either...now I'm going to have to find it. I wonder if it will beat out Plan 9 from Outer Space?

-Ki

• Kiara (3/24/2011)

Kiara (3/24/2011)

Kit G (3/24/2011)

I haven't seen it either...now I'm going to have to find it. I wonder if it will beat out Plan 9 from Outer Space?

Picture Plan 9 from Outer Space with less action, fewer special effects, and with subtitles. In addition, none of the actors knew the language they were speaking: Esperanto. All the dialogue was memorized and delivered phonetically. Plus, you get to watch William Shatner lounge about looking handsome and pleased with himself.

Viewing 15 posts - 24,916 through 24,930 (of 66,641 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply