Are Database Upgrade Advisor and Data Migration Assistant the same things?

• I am confused. Are these tools the same or different? Or it is just a different naming depending on a version?

We are going to upgrade (or migrate) from 2008 to 2016.

Thanks

• What is the difference between the Upgrade Advisor (UA) and the Data Migration Assistant (DMA)?

All versions of UA are officially deprecated and have been replaced by DMA for your migration needs. The core differences between the tools are as follows:

• UA performs only assessments, DMA enable you to perform assessments and as well as migrations.  DMA provides E2E migration experience.
    • UA only provides assessments migrating to on-premises SQL targets, but DMA extends to Azure Database platforms as well.
    • You need to have a specific UA tool, per each target SQL Server version, but DMA is a unique tool and supports all target SQL versions, starting SQL Server 2012.
    • UA enables assess the workload traces, but DMA only assess the schema and static objects.
    • All versions of UA is officially deprecated and replaced by DMA.

Source : https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/datamigration/2017/02/22/data-migration-assistant-faqs/

• Thanks a lot Sreekanth for a detailed answer. The only question that I have is what is E2E?

Thanks

• End to End (E2E) migration experience.

• Just be aware that the DMA tool shows a green tick mark for databases that will upgrade, however you should click the name as it will show any issues with future deprecated code.  I don't like the way this is initially hidden from view.

qh

[font="Tahoma"]Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. – Carl Jung.[/font]
  • My understanding (from reading when I tried to use it the first time) is that the DMA also shares a shedload of information about your databases and servers with Microsoft, which is why I won't use it even if their claim is that it only collects benign information.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply