Are Cubes Dead?

• pmcpherson wrote:

Azure Synapse has a 1TB minimum.  If you are greenfield, then it will be much cheaper to go with an Azure Database in the meantime.

Exactly!!!

• When cubes came out column store technology was no where near where it is now and wasn't available in SQL Server.

Dimensional modelling and Data Vault 2.0 modelling remain relevant and thrive in a column store world.  Looking at the market for columnar storage databases we have AWS RedShift, Google BigQuery, Azure Synapse, Snowflake (available in the big 3 clouds), Vertica and others.

As far as any end-user is concerned you just use SQL to query any of them.  A tool that can query a SQL database can query  these column store products.

If I had any SSAS cubes I would be doing the prep work to migrate away from them.

• David.Poole wrote:

When cubes came out column store technology was no where near where it is now and wasn't available in SQL Server.

Dimensional modelling and Data Vault 2.0 modelling remain relevant and thrive in a column store world.  Looking at the market for columnar storage databases we have AWS RedShift, Google BigQuery, Azure Synapse, Snowflake (available in the big 3 clouds), Vertica and others.

As far as any end-user is concerned you just use SQL to query any of them.  A tool that can query a SQL database can query  these column store products.

If I had any SSAS cubes I would be doing the prep work to migrate away from them.

Amen, sir!

• I encourage everyone to create a free Snowflake trial account. It includes a shared copy of the TPC-DS sample database that is 100 TB in size with 100 million records in the customers dimension and 500 million sales transactions. After creating a 128 CPU virtual warehouse, I was running OLAP style queries with runtime duration of less than 1 minute.

https://docs.snowflake.com/en/user-guide/sample-data-tpcds.html

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply