Are all hotfixes since SP4 cumulative?

• I was on MS looking for the AWE hotfix the other day. and the link that takes you from SP 4 version 8.00.2039 to 8.00.2040 would no longer allow you to download that hotfix.

I found a previous version, and had a Microsoft tech send me one from their internal website to ensure I had the correct package.

So I went to the forums over at msdn and I posted about it. 2 of the Moderators told me that all hotfixes are cumulative.

(I'm skeptical ever since 2005, if you install SP1 thru SP3 mirroring has some boxes that are not grayed out that are grayed out if you just install SP3)

They recommended that the baseline for all of my 2000 Servers should be .2249

And that that hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894905 would solve all my ills including the AWE hotfix provided on .2040.

Does everyone else agree with this? Are they correct and I should set my SQL 2000 baseline version to .2249?

I inherited a lot of really old systems lately and until I can get them on 2008 and test that in a Dev environment I would like to get them on the latest and greatest for SQL 2000. (some of these systems are running SP3)

• Anybody, is this news to you, have you known it forever? please just looking for some info

• there are two kinds of hotfixes: cumulative hotfixes and specific hotfixes;

for example this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918222 clearly descibes that this is the latest cumulative hotfix as "build 2153" for SQL 2005...so yes, that is an all in one;

there are other fixes for specific issues that they roll out for rarer, specific problems that not everyone will need.

this is the same for 2000,2005 or 2008, just different cumultive hotfixes for each version.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• for my money the latest cumulative hotfix you should apply after SQL 2000 SP4 is rollup 2187 - the file is called 266223_ENU_i386_zip.exe

you should then apply security hotfix MS08-040 which will bring you up to 8.00.2273.

in SQL2000 most hotfixes were not rollups, but they did release hotfix rollups from time to time, and clearly labeled them as such.

From SQL2005 onwards you have service packs (cumulative), Cumulative updates (rolled up hotfixes) and individual hotfixes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• Thanks all for the replies. I really appriceate it!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply