Archiving outside SQL environment

• LS,

I'm challenged  to set up an ARCHIVING in relation to specific data within a database (or the whole databases itself) stored outside the database.

For archiving historical data within the same database there are a number of solutions (partitioning / archive tables etc. or even a separate database along the main database) but to the Dutch Law we have to archive client- and medical-data for 7 and 15 year which must be available on special request only.
    Most databases build up their own history within the database itself by not deleting any data but such a database is getting bigger and bigger (slowing down performance).

sofar so good....
    what I want to ask you guys is how to deal with extractions to << something >> outside the database environment to store the data as historical data older the 7/15 years (not to be used anymore only in case of a special request)?
    or
    What are best practices for archiving a special set of backup (periodically backup (week - month - year)) and in what frequency (especially for the week backup)?
    and
    We are using NetApp storage right now - any suggestions are welcome (we are using D-Dubbing on a separate SATA environment outside our main datacenter-location(s)).

Any information is welcome.

Regards.
    Guus Kramer
    The Netherlands

• Hi Guus,

This is a challenge to be sure. Not knowing the architecture of your system I have a few questions.

1) How much active data do you need to maintain in the Database? The last calendar year? The last 7 calendar years? Is it a "rolling" timeframe, meaning it is the last x years based on the current date?
    2) Is all of the data in all of the tables time indexed in some way. For example, there is a column that has "date added" or "date modified" that can be used to determine the age of the data?
    3) When a special request comes in, how long do you have to retrieve the information requested? Is there a specific form that it needs to take or does it need to be accessible via an application or interface?
    4) Is the data primarily text based, not images or binary data or is it a mix?

I don't know if I'll be able to provide a solution to your question, but maybe talking this through will help you determine something. I can also tell you about solutions I have seen in the past, but I don't know if the implementation of what I have seen will help you or not.

Regards, Irish 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply