April CTP on Virtual PC?

• Hello, all.  I was trying to install the April CTP on a virtual machine running Win 2000 SP4 and kept getting an error to the effect that some piece of the OS was not supported.  I winnowed thru the installation doucmentation and finally found a note in the ReadMe html file that SQL Server 2005 does not support the Virtual PC environment. 

Does anyone know whether this is a true statement or if I could have been imagining it?  SQL 2000 installed to Virtual PC with no problem.

TIA

Don

• Section 3.3.2 - Operating System Requirements

Note  There is no support in this release for Virtual Server, Virtual PC, Windows 2003 Embedded Edition, Windows Small Business Server 2003 Standard Edition, Windows Small Business Server 2003 Premium Edition, Windows XP Home, Windows XP Media Edition, Windows XP Tablet Edition, or Windows "Longhorn."

So, the error you received is to be expected. Just because Sql200 installed to Virtual PC doesn't mean you should expect the same from a beta or pre-release version of any other product.

• I, and I know a lot others, have April CTP installed and running on Virtual PC. I am running XP Professional in my VPC (and have also tried Win 2003), so I guess the problem you are encountering might be with Win 2000. You could try asking in the beta newsgroups (http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?icp=sqlserver2005&slcid=us).

• Hi, Chris, thanks for the info.  You may be right about the OS I am using.  I will check the newsgroups.

Don

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply