April 1 2015, a space oddity

• Revenant (4/2/2015)

I am surprised that only 43 percent got this one right - if it is the answer to everything, it must be correct.

it can't be the answer to everything: the obvious proof being the existence of the question "what percentage of answers to this question were correct when Revenant looked at the results at about 3:07 this afternoon (as his time was displayed for a client in a UTC+1 zone)?". Except of course in universes where 42 = 43.

Tom

• SQLRNNR (4/1/2015)

William Vach (4/1/2015)

Interesting that as of 11:00 AM Eastern, only 16% picked the first answer. I thought that if you have absolutely no idea of the answer to a multiple choice question, always pick the first one. 🙂

I was always taught to choose between b or c if you have no clue.

If you are really intellingent and you haven't a cliue, you choose b. This is because when tossing a coin you have a for heads, c for tails, and d for the other common case (coin lands on its edge and remains there) and that leaves b for the really rare case (coin drops to eye level and continues to spin without ever getting lower), and you know that the b*st*rd setting the question has arranged for the least probably answer to be correct just to scr*w anyone who makes a reasonable guess.

Tom

• TomThomson (4/2/2015)

Revenant (4/2/2015)

I am surprised that only 43 percent got this one right - if it is the answer to everything, it must be correct.

it can't be the answer to everything: the obvious proof being the existence of the question "what percentage of answers to this question were correct when Revenant looked at the results at about 3:07 this afternoon (as his time was displayed for a client in a UTC+1 zone)?". Except of course in universes where 42 = 43.

But everyone knows 2 + 2 = 5 for sufficiently large values of 2

There are no facts, only interpretations.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

• TomThomson (4/2/2015)

Revenant (4/2/2015)

This is the best proof I have seen in a long, long time. 🙂

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (4/2/2015)

SQL-DBA-01 (4/1/2015)

Bad day for me. I lost 7 points. I selected option - (c). 🙁 🙁

You never lose points. Only miss out on gaining them.

Good answer!

• Raghavendra Mudugal (4/1/2015)

Thank you for the question.

(Forgive me for my low level curiosity: "what is five book trilogy?"; and I never know how I am suppose to answer such questions, so I copy-pastes the entire question in google and ....man.... that question really exist on the internet (I thought it was some kind of stu... formation), well I chose the answer with the higher votes.):-)

A break from SQL for a day....:cool:

When Douglas Adams started writing them, it was originally a trilogy. Then the fourth book came out, then the fifth. Then, sadly, he passed away. A sixth book came out by a different author based on material collected from a half dozen or so Macs that he used, but honestly, don't waste your time with it if you liked the originals. For me, the first and fourth books are the best. I think Arthur Dent deserved some love in his life. I didn't like the fifth book at all, more for what the story accomplished than the writing.

The great thing is there's the BBC radio plays, a TV series, a movie, and the books: and none of them are the same. It's not just choose your own adventure, it's choose your own reality!

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• A man too soon gone 🙁

I don't even know how many times I have read the entire trilogy. And his other works! The two Dirk Gently books are as hilarious.

• I copied the question text in Management Studio and executed it, and the result was an error message. If this only works on SQL Server 4.2, it should be indicated in the question.

I wants my points baaack!!

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• I should have know that ! hahahahaha

• I should have know this...

42 is the answer to everything.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply