Approaching Politics in IT

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Approaching Politics in IT

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• ... The news cycle seems to be dominated by discussion of politics. Regardless of where you fall on the political spectrum, the talk of politics is inescapable and is probably going to lead to you being displeased with your fellow man. Luckily, we work in IT, so we can avoid politics.

BWA-HA-HA-HA-HA! ...

I've actually never worked in close proximity with someone who was extreme or overbearing with their politics. The better IT organizations tend to "weed out" certain personality types who disrupt the productivity of the team. Based on workplace horror stories I've heard from others, the sales, marketing, and financial industries are probably where you would encounter it most. Perhaps that partially explains the personality rift between IT and the former areas.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• "You may not be interested in politics, but politics is interested in you."

Learning how to handle the communications and relationships in corporate/business environment is part of being a career professional. Keeping your emotions in check and effectively working with others in difficult situations is a sign of mastery.

If you are a software or service vendor, you should stay professional and consider if intertwining your personal political beliefs with your corporate identity is worth the risk of alienating your consumers. Several vendors this year have been dropped from consideration either due to unprofessionalism or concerns of data security due to their troubling connections and actions.

"May you live in interesting times..."

Unfortunately we live at a crux in history. Understand that most people see the surface of what they think is happening, not the currents and forces behind them. And if you dive down beneath the waves, you probably wouldn't like truth. It's probably not going to get better until it gets much worse. So it's just best to be prepared and professional, emoting over politics isn't going to help.

• On the topic of politics, I know I have to work in a political framework.  I absolutely agree that the logical approach is the correct one to technology.  Unfortunately, there are too many people with too many excuses that get in the way of getting things done.  When someone makes what I think is a poor decision, I let them live with the consequences of their decision.  When those consequences are realized, I will not say "I told you so" because I don't have to - it just isn't who I am.  I'm also the type to have it thought through by the time the problem arrives to help where I can.

The worst politicians don't even debate technology with me, but instead resort to long, wandering monologues and end with talk about policy, even when the policy has nothing to do with the topic being discussed.  There's no pause and sometimes points not even made, but the entire meeting is monopolized and everyone just wants to get out of there.  I believe it's a sign of immaturity and fear of change, even when the change will make things better or more efficient.  I don't like politicians at work because the excessive CYA and fear leads to delays in getting things done.  Worse, it sometimes leads to nothing getting done.

• The worst kind of political players are those who are deliberately two faced. Those that have the gall to act like a friend to people then deliberately stab them in the back (not usually literally). I have only seen this done a few times. Only twice when I was one of the "recipients" of the treatment. Until I saw it for my own eyes I believed that people were exaggerating (some do, of course, but not all).

The best technologists I have ever had the pleasure of working with were flexible, open minded and preferred an evidence based discussion.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Everyone has posted thoughtful contributions to the discussion. Thanks.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Gary Varga - Monday, February 20, 2017 7:32 AM

The worst kind of political players are those who are deliberately two faced. Those that have the gall to act like a friend to people then deliberately stab them in the back (not usually literally). I have only seen this done a few times. Only twice when I was one of the "recipients" of the treatment. Until I saw it for my own eyes I believed that people were exaggerating (some do, of course, but not all).

The best technologists I have ever had the pleasure of working with were flexible, open minded and preferred an evidence based discussion.

Ultimately that type of backstabbing is counter-productive. The best examples of IT executive managers are those who identify and weed out political players who negatively impact staff and project outcomes. In addition to hiring the right staff, I'd say that "plucking weeds from the garden" should also be one of the department head's primary duties. When you have a department handicapped by political personalities, it's a failure on the part of executive management.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

•  If you lose a decision, do you resort to violence to get the decision to go back your way?

lol what the heck?????

• patrickmcginnis59 10839 - Monday, February 20, 2017 7:55 AM

If you lose a decision, do you resort to violence to get the decision to go back your way?

lol what the heck?????

You'd be shocked.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• patrickmcginnis59 10839 - Monday, February 20, 2017 7:55 AM

If you lose a decision, do you resort to violence to get the decision to go back your way?

lol what the heck?????

The corporate office where I work is located in Kennesaw, Georgia; a town where resorting to violence to win an argument is not advised.
    https://www.municode.com/library/ga/kennesaw/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=PTIICOOR_CH34CIEM_ARTIIFI

• Eric M Russell - Monday, February 20, 2017 8:43 AM

patrickmcginnis59 10839 - Monday, February 20, 2017 7:55 AM

lol what the heck?????

The corporate office where I work is located in Kennesaw, Georgia; a town where resorting to violence to win an argument is not advised.
    https://www.municode.com/library/ga/kennesaw/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=PTIICOOR_CH34CIEM_ARTIIFI

Why the exception for the United States? If I was them I'd be changing that quick sharp with all that (has not) happened in Sweden this weekend.

Gaz

• I find the worse point is when someone who is outside of IT (like a director) gets involved. At the moment we have a user constantly asking to be able to access and amend the sourcecode for our back office application. They have no experience programming, no knowledge of the language, and it seems little idea of how simple logic should work (I get at least 2-3 calls asking if I can do some kind of Condition formatting on an Excel document for them), yet she complained to their manager.

That manager has now gone over our IT manager's head to their Director, who's come down to find out why we haven't given the user the access... As the Director isn't exactly IT savvy, the past week has been an uphill struggle to explain why, and I'm pretty sure the entire thing has gone over the Director's head (as we were asked to grant access again today).

Because they are the decision maker for the company, they don't like being told no (I'm sure we all know that), and being given "IT reasons" is just nonsense to them. It's not like the end user could break anything (they think), and if they do, IT will fix it for them...

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Monday, February 20, 2017 9:08 AM

I find the worse point is when someone who is outside of IT (like a director) gets involved. At the moment we have a user constantly asking to be able to access and amend the sourcecode for our back office application. They have no experience programming, no knowledge of the language, and it seems little idea of how simple logic should work (I get at least 2-3 calls asking if I can do some kind of Condition formatting on an Excel document for them), yet she complained to their manager.

That manager has now gone over our IT manager's head to their Director, who's come down to find out why we haven't given the user the access... As the Director isn't exactly IT savvy, the past week has been an uphill struggle to explain why, and I'm pretty sure the entire thing has gone over the Director's head (as we were asked to grant access again today).

Because they are the decision maker for the company, they don't like being told no (I'm sure we all know that), and being given "IT reasons" is just nonsense to them. It's not like the end user could break anything (they think), and if they do, IT will fix it for them...

And it's all heaven & light until the server is completely offline and the business is going under. Of course, that'll be ITs fault too.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Grant Fritchey - Monday, February 20, 2017 9:24 AM

And it's all heaven & light until the server is completely offline and the business is going under. Of course, that'll be ITs fault too.

It's almost like more than one of us has been there. :angry:

Gaz

• It can get worse than this but not by much https://www.susanjfowler.com/blog/2017/2/19/reflecting-on-one-very-strange-year-at-uber.

In reality politics in a business is about a triage of resources and building relationships to ensure that your team is likely to succeed.

In any healthy organisation there will be more good ideas than you have resources to carry them out.  Even after senior managers have chosen the strategic direction there is still enough flexibility for other managers to carry on horse trading.  If they all operated in splendid isolation they'd get perhaps 5 things done.  Working together the goals for one team may actually benefit another team.  The affect is that 7+ things get done.  Politics done properly will mean that managers actively seek out opportunities where there are shared benefits.  If the organisation strategy is correctly aligned there will be plenty of such opportunities.

Of course we've all seen bad politics.  Just remember that an organisation's culture comes from the top.  People who have the drive to scale the upper echelons of management all have a selfish streak.  It's what got them to where they are.  However, the best of them are aware of it and are self disciplined enough to keep it under control.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply