Application Slow on Test Instance

• Hi Everybody,

I have latency on my Application (Test).

I have 2 servers :
    - 1 Application Server :
    Server with IIS

- 1 Database Server  :
    Production : 1 Instance and 1 database
    Test : 1 Instance and 1 database
    So 2 instances and 2 database on the same Server

My application work with Internet Explorer 11
    I have already restart my Application Server (so IIS) but the navigation through Internet Explorer is already slow.

Database Server : 

Server : 8 Gb
    VCPU : 2
    Instance 1 (production) : 
    Maximum Server Memory : Unlimited
    Instance 2 (test) : 
    Maximum Server Memory : Unlimited

I have execute a request on Test Instance with this result : 
    SELECT
    (physical_memory_in_use_kb/1024) AS Memory_usedby_Sqlserver_MB,
    (locked_page_allocations_kb/1024) AS Locked_pages_used_Sqlserver_MB,
    (total_virtual_address_space_kb/1024) AS Total_VAS_in_MB,
    process_physical_memory_low,
    process_virtual_memory_low
    FROM sys.dm_os_process_memory;

Result : 
    Memory_usedby_Sqlserver_MB    Locked_pages_used_Sqlserver_MB    Total_VAS_in_MB    process_physical_memory_low    process_virtual_memory_low
                           195                                             0                                            134217727                               1                                                      0

PS : I have alreay restart Test Instance but same thing.

Thank you very much
    Anthony

• What's your question?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Hang on.  You've got your test environment on the same hardware as your production environment?

Thomas Rushton
    blog: https://thelonedba.wordpress.com

• ThomasRushton - Wednesday, June 14, 2017 4:23 AM

Hang on.  You've got your test environment on the same hardware as your production environment?

I missed that.

Well, there's a problem right there

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• It's an 8gb server running two instances at the same time, one production and the other test and you're worried that the test instances, and only the test instance, is running slow? I suspect it's just because the production instance got all the resources first and the test instance is contending for them.

Stop this. Don't run test and production together. That's a problem. That's the problem.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• GilaMonster - Wednesday, June 14, 2017 4:24 AM

ThomasRushton - Wednesday, June 14, 2017 4:23 AM

Hang on.  You've got your test environment on the same hardware as your production environment?

I missed that.

Hi yes, Test Server on the same server that production.
    Previous System Administror has installed like this.
    My question is : How can I find my performance problem (application is slow) ?

• Grant Fritchey - Wednesday, June 14, 2017 5:43 AM

It's an 8gb server .

My laptop has twice the memory as that production server. My desktop has 4 times the memory as that production server.

Gail Shaw

• Grant Fritchey - Wednesday, June 14, 2017 5:43 AM

It's an 8gb server running two instances at the same time, one production and the other test and you're worried that the test instances, and only the test instance, is running slow? I suspect it's just because the production instance got all the resources first and the test instance is contending for them.

Stop this. Don't run test and production together. That's a problem. That's the problem.

Ok so How can I find if my Instance production take all memory on server ?

Thank you

• contact 14920 - Wednesday, June 14, 2017 5:50 AM

GilaMonster - Wednesday, June 14, 2017 4:24 AM

ThomasRushton - Wednesday, June 14, 2017 4:23 AM

I missed that.

Hi yes, Test Server on the same server that production.
    Previous System Administror has installed like this.
    My question is : How can I find my performance problem (application is slow) ?

1) Don't run test and production together. That's a problem. That's the problem.       
    2) 8GB is a stupidly low amount of memory for a production server. Add more.

Gail Shaw

• contact 14920 - Wednesday, June 14, 2017 5:54 AM

Grant Fritchey - Wednesday, June 14, 2017 5:43 AM

It's an 8gb server running two instances at the same time, one production and the other test and you're worried that the test instances, and only the test instance, is running slow? I suspect it's just because the production instance got all the resources first and the test instance is contending for them.

Thank you

You should stop trying to fix this problem and instead fix the much bigger problem of having test and production instances on the same server. Just because the previous sysadmin did this does not make it right.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• contact 14920 - Wednesday, June 14, 2017 5:54 AM

Grant Fritchey - Wednesday, June 14, 2017 5:43 AM

Well, to be honest, that's what you want. The production instance should be taking the majority of the resources on the server, it's the one being used by the application's users.
    You can use the max server memory setting to reduce the memory used by the instance, it should be 6 or maybe 7 if the production instance is alone on the server, lower if it's sharing with other things, but reducing memory will hinder the performance of the prod server.

Gail Shaw

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply