Apologies to Ken Henderson

• Bravo Steve

I always admire this site for the excellent technical information found here, now I am completely satisfied knowing that the people who runs the site also have a high degree of ethics, the honesty to recognize mistakes and amend them

Sincerely,

Rafael Colón

• I will be looking to buy Ken's book now.  Some good does come from this.  Lets get going and continue the great work.

Sincerely,

Clarke Isackson

• Dear Mark,

First of all, i pointed that it's not graceful to point out any specific country in a global forum like SQLServerCentral.com. I found it quite weird that you are trying to prove yourself by providing statistics. I also would like to know what "cultural difference" that you are talking about? and what is that got to do regarding Plagiarism, copyright violation etc etc that is being talked out? It's all left to individuals and unprincipled companies to do these illegal acts.

Many thanks to you for providing me the link to the "Piracy Study" document. Do you believe having piracy of 21% in 2004 and 22% in 2003 for US and 27% in 2004 and 29% in 2003 for UK is justifiable and worth pointing out? Infact, it is quite shameful and disconcerting, considering the fact that they are called "developed" countries and the market is so large. It is a well known fact that 70-80% of the work done offshore in India comes from these countries. If the "developed" countries are so particular in curbing privacy/copyright violations why not they provide the software development tools as well and absorb development costs instead of reaping huge profits, just because you find cheap labour there? It's quite strange that if one could not even find India in the top 20 countries with the highest piracy rate and yet one want to point out in a forum and that is totally out of context.

It's sad that i am digressing from the actual issue. I am sure someone would have done it anyway to your deragotary statements. I once again quote Steve's remark in the forum (Acknowledgements to our revered Mr.Steve Jones, ofcourse )

"after all, the US is the place where lots of the pirated works originate. We steal from each other in plenty of situations. Troll Slashdot one day on a Microsoft article, like the "no updates for pirates" one this week. You'll see plenty of US citizens thinking it's perfectly acceptable for them to pirate MS stuff."

Thank you.

Rajini

• I thought these two facts I quoted were fascinating and disturbing. I quoted the Indian summary primarily because India has a very large IT influence - more so than any other developing country as supported by the value of the output. I also quoted the US to show that software piracy is still prevalent there - after all 1 in 5 (and this is the leader in anti software piracy) is a massive amount and actually dwarfs all others in monetary terms. I thought if I found them interesting others would too and read the study, maybe then people can form well informed opinions.

derogatory adjective showing a critical or disrespectful attitude. Source: Compact Oxford English Dictionary revised edition 2003.

It seems I've picked an issue that conjures up strong feelings - also interesting. I never meant to be deragotary (although I think you meant derogatory), if you meant disrespectful which is probably due to a cultural difference.

NB: My nationality is neither at the top or the bottom of the study, either way it's not something to be proud of with regards to this study. 

regards,

Mark Baekdal

http://www.dbghost.com

http://www.innovartis.co.uk

+44 (0)208 241 1762

Build, Comparison and Synchronization from Source Control = Database change management for SQL Server

• Dear Mark,

For your information, if you could refer my posting, i just mentioned

"It's quite strange that if one could not even find India in the top 20 countries with the highest piracy rate and yet one want to point out in a forum and that is totally out of context."

Nowhere in the post i mentioned that "MY" country is India, (if you could again devote your precious time to read the post again) and nowhere did i mention that i am proud of these findings. I now quote from the study itself, some points worth mentioning for the benefit of those who could not have enough time to read the entire study:

"The European Union, United States and Canada experienced significant dollar losses, yet had relatively low piracy rates. This is in part because their markets are so large. In such enormous markets, even small piracy rates can add up to large losses." (Page 6).

If 1 in 5, 1 in 4, 1 in 3 or even 2 in 5 is considered lowest piracy rates, i wonder if anyone in this world can be proud of this finding!

"Italy and France continue to lead established European nations in piracy losses. Some of this is structural. Both countries have a higher-thanaverage proportion of the PC-using base in the small business sector, which typically has a higher piracy rate than do the medium and large business sectors." (Page 6)

If the so-called "developed countries" could not refrain the PC users from using pirated software, i wonder whether it is reasonable to expect the same in the so-called "emerging world".

"In the end, no country is immune from the impact of software piracy." (Page 7)

"The above statement summarises the findings."

Regarding "derogatory", i admit it should have been "partial". Singling out a particular country in one post and slowly accepting a different country by quoting a figure in the next post, I do wonder whether that can be called as a critical or disrespectful attitude., it's upto the diverse group members of different cultures to think whether it is because of cultural difference. 

Howver, i adore your honest opinion that piracy should be curbed wherever it may be, since it does not acknowledge the rightful proprietor's effort, time and investment.

Thank you.

Rajini

• Grr... Foyles (like the biggest(?) bookshop in the world) had the box set for £100 ... £30 more than in amazon.  Sadly they didn't feel like matching the price in anyway   Ah well.  amazon it is.

• Save yourself the money. Book 3 has all of book one and two for the most part.  At the very least buy book 2 and 3, book 2 definately repeats the majority and meat of book one. They are basically editions, but not titled that way.

• good work as usual, Steve, that is why I have to read sqlCentral e-mail on daily basis.

D

• I respect peoples hardwork & there dedication what they write, but at the same time there ne need to make fuss out of it. it should be like OGL. just think off the topic. GOD as created this whole universe and Earth is part of this universe. we misuse in a worst & all possible way. still he doesn't complaint  nor ask for apology. isn't we should learn some thing from NATURE.

Viewing 9 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply