AOAG with FCI Step by Step

• It's been a very long while since I have set this all up.

I can't find my documentation from over 7 years ago.

Does anyone have any links to a guide.

• This is a very wide subject - and it all depends on what you are trying to setup and configure.  Is there an existing system already setup - or are you starting from scratch and need to build a new environment?

How many nodes - are all nodes in the same DC?  How many instances?  Standard or Enterprise Edition?  If Enterprise - how many databases?  What version of SQL Server?

Many more questions - but it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Thanks,

2 node FCI 1 active one Passive.

1 Secondary replica for DR

1 secondary for reporting

Enterprise edition SQL 2017.

Also I used to use SSIS to keep master and msdb in sync. This is not an option here. Are there any T-SQL scripts to keep these in sync with the DR server.

• Okay - so you need a 4 node cluster with one of the nodes in a separate DC.  The first step is to create the 4 node cluster - if possible (if the DR node cannot be added to the cluster it gets a bit more difficult).

The reporting replica should not be included to determine quorum - unless you want to be able to fail over to that instance.  Since you will be setting up a node in a separate DC - then you will need a file share witness as part of the cluster that is visible and available from both data centers.

There isn't a single document available for this configuration - what you will need to do is look at the documents from Microsoft on FCI and AG clusters and build out the system.

As for scripting things - take a look at dbatools.io (https://dbatools.io/).

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply