Anyone Know How To Add A Provider To SQL 2008?

• In this case I am dealing with SSIS packages coming from various versions and SPs of SQL, depending on what the developer has installed on their WS. Sometimes the connection strings show up as SQLNCLI10.1 and some times they show as SQLNCLI.1 or even SQLNCLI. I have seen postings on the MS SQL Connect forum where they say that SQLNCLI10 and SQLNCLI10.1 are synonymous, because they have registry entries that point to the same class at:

"HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SQLNCLI10\Clsid" and

"HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SQLNCLI10.1\Clsid" for SQL 2008.

If you look at this page, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907284, about 2/3 of the way down, under "You may receive an error message when you use ROLAP", I see that while the provider names can be set to be synonymous in the registry, in order for them to work the same in SQL Server they have to be added somewhere. Unfortunately the article doesn't go into detail about where this must be added within SQL Server.

My goal is to lower the common denominator for my servers by making "SQLNCLI" work on my 2005 and 2008 boxes, so I can have my developers using one provider in their connection strings. Of course I have to determine feasibility of adding this synonym to all of my servers' registries and adding it to SQL Server, if I can figure out where.

Does anyone know where to add the provider names in SQL Server?

Thanks,

Chris

Learning something new on every visit to SSC. Hoping to pass it on to someone else.

• In my memory,

1. You should install the driver on this server;

2. You should configure the connectivity for this driver if necessary;

For example, in Sybase, you need to configure Data Access\Data Source Administrator.

May the above help.

• I don't think it will do any good to install a SQL 2005 driver on a 2008 server. I can see where that would bite me in the butt.

Thanks,

Chris

Learning something new on every visit to SSC. Hoping to pass it on to someone else.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply