Any SQL gurus / n00bs that are closet musicians?

• Before joining the ranks of the IT industry I was 110% involved in music. I played drums for over 20 years starting in the school bands and venturing to my own bands before high school. I was a long haired rocker playing weekly in the clubs of AZ, CA. At one point I moved to L.A. to "make it big". I did a lot of recording and had the time of my life. Age and family made me realize I needed to go to college so here I am 10 years in programming and databases.

• david.tyler (12/22/2009)

Before joining the ranks of the IT industry I was 110% involved in music. I played drums for over 20 years starting in the school bands and venturing to my own bands before high school. I was a long haired rocker playing weekly in the clubs of AZ, CA. At one point I moved to L.A. to "make it big". I did a lot of recording and had the time of my life. Age and family made me realize I needed to go to college so here I am 10 years in programming and databases.

Sounds like one of my co-workers, but he is still involved in music. I posted his Christmas Gift back a bit if you want to check it out.

• I've always been a music "fan" but never had much talent mysef... the proudest day of my life was when my (then) 15yo had had an argument with his mom... I went to check on him.. his response was "it's alright dad... when she's like that, I just come in my room and play my guitar"

If I've never done anything else right, I was moved to tears over that statement!!!

• Trumpet player myself. Mostly jazz with some Chicago and BS & T thrown in.

I'm not great at it but I enjoy it. :satisfied:

• RBarryYoung (8/7/2008)

Jack Corbett (8/7/2008)

I wouldn't call myself a musician, but I play Bass Guitar. Contemporary Christian and Christian Rock mainly.

My oldest son is a Bass Guitarist. I met Jack Blades (Night Ranger) once and mentioned that to him and he said "We may not get as much glory, but Bass Guitarists never go hungry."

Joke I told my son, when he started learning the Bass:

A son wanted to learn the Bass, so his father set up a week of evening lessons for him.

After the first lesson, the son comes home and his father asks him "Well, how'd it go?" "Great." says the son, "I learned how to play the first string."

The second night, the son comes home and his father asks him "How'd it go tonight?" "Great," says the son, "I learned how play the second string."

The third night, the son comes home and his father asks him "How'd it go tonight?" His son shrugs and says "Oh, I blew it off. I had a gig."

Yes, I know its old, but its reeeaaallly boring here this week. Anyhow, Barry, as for not getting the glory, don't forget about the mighty Victor Wooten of Bela Fleck and the Flecktones fame. Just search for him on youtube if you've never heard of him. You will be truly amazed.

Greg
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________
    The glass is at one half capacity: nothing more, nothing less.

• Ivanna Noh (12/21/2009)

...the bridge has got 6 manual adjust winders...

Those little fine tuning screws at the bridge are great - so easy to get a perfect tuning that way (assuming intonation is set up correctly) - unfortunately my guitar (Les Paul Std) doesn't have those

A question for guitarists (and others) - are there any pedals that you find indispensable or that you just love? I just bought a Keeley compressor which I'm getting a lot of use from...

Definitely the Boss Pitch Shifter. It was around $180 new when I bought it 15 years ago, but I still use it every time I play. You can mess with the timing of the two tones so that one is just slightly ascending or descending over the other, and when the effect is maxed out, so that you don't hear the sound coming directly from the guitar, it sounds like one would imaging a UFO taking off or landing. When I was in college my friends and I would have parties, and have the guitars all set up for when the din of voices got loud, we could go un-noticed while making un-worldly sounds to the drunken discourse of the people. Needless to say, the effect was quite comical when the really drunk ones could not figure out what was happening. Yes, definitely the pitch shifter. You could probably get one for around $50 dollars at a pawn shop.

Greg
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________
    The glass is at one half capacity: nothing more, nothing less.

• Well, you honked my horn with this one. I sing and play keyboard and I even do it in public. I also fool around a little with the bass guitar but I don't do that in public. BTW, bassists don't get nearly enough respect. It's not the big piece of cake everyone says it is if you want to be any good.

• I play guitar and ukulele, but I wouldn't say I'm a musician.

I did have some small success in remixing songs for night clubs, does that count?

• SQLPirate (1/20/2010)

I play guitar and ukulele, but I wouldn't say I'm a musician.

I did have some small success in remixing songs for night clubs, does that count?

Sure why not; the more the merier! Whats a ukulele? I mean ive heard of it but what is it?

Adam Zacks-------------------------------------------Be Nice, Or Leave

• Had a rehearsal last night with my community concert/symphonic band. (I'm the principal clarinetist and section leader.)

Any other symphonic musicians here?

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• Schadenfreude-Mei (1/21/2010)

Sure why not; the more the merier! Whats a ukulele? I mean ive heard of it but what is it?

A "plucked lute" (as told in Wiki) 😛

Or a small quitar-type instrument. Look up "Tiny Tim". He and Don Ho popularized it for my generation....

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• tosscrosby-60625 (1/21/2010)

Schadenfreude-Mei (1/21/2010)

A "plucked lute" (as told in Wiki) 😛

Or a small quitar-type instrument. Look up "Tiny Tim". He and Don Ho popularized it for my generation....

Oh that! I had one of those i found in a skip. It was broken but my granddfather (who was a french polisher) put it back together for me. It what that carrabean guy had in 'Shallow Hal' right?

I thought it was a toy!:hehe:

• I've always been surprised that more IT professionals haven't been involved in music. I've been immersed in it since I was five (piano to violin to saxophone (alto then tenor) to guitar (which turned out to be my passion) and I see so many parallels between softare/systems development and music theory/composition.

I don't work at home, but I live in a loft a few blocks away. Whenever I run into a wall with a challenging design problem, I dash home to wail away on my guitar or piano... It might just be like any other distraction, but it does feel like I'm more effective since I moved.

• Schadenfreude-Mei (1/21/2010)

Oh that! I had one of those i found in a skip. It was broken but my granddfather (who was a french polisher) put it back together for me. It what that carrabean guy had in 'Shallow Hal' right?

I thought it was a toy!:hehe:

Don't know about "Shallow Hal" but it is an popular island-type instrument. Kind-of toy like, and a little annoying but also kind of mesmirizing. - SP?

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• What do yoou mean 'SP' :ermm:

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply