Any performance improvement

• Hi

is there any performance improvment in sql 2008 while providing comma(,) at the left side of the column instead of right side..just curious to know :-D...in sql2008 i have seen lot of example using this

INSERT INTO tablename

(

column1

,column2

,column3

,column4

)

VALUES

(

columnvalue1

,columnvalue2

,columnvalue3

,columnvalue4

)

• Hi there,

Putting comma on left or right side has no impact on performance.. 🙂 The syntax is just the same..

I think people put it on the left side so they can easily comment the line if a column has been dropped like this:

INSERT INTO tablename

(

column1

,column2

,column3

--,column4

)

VALUES

(

columnvalue1

,columnvalue2

,columnvalue3

--,columnvalue4

)

You can also use this format in SELECT..

I hope this helps.. 🙂

• thanks

• Welcome.. It's a pleasure to help..

• Just curious why you thought it might matter? Would it matter if the opening paren was on the same line as the column or on a different line? Just wondering what drove the question.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• a

• ramboabc (9/2/2010)

a

b

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• shield_21 (9/1/2010)

Hi there,

Putting comma on left or right side has no impact on performance.. 🙂 The syntax is just the same..

I think people put it on the left side so they can easily comment the line if a column has been dropped like this:

INSERT INTO tablename

(

column1

,column2

,column3

--,column4

)

VALUES

(

columnvalue1

,columnvalue2

,columnvalue3

--,columnvalue4

)

You can also use this format in SELECT..

I hope this helps.. 🙂

I don't think it makes it any easier/harder to comment out lines at all. If you put commas after the column name, you can comment all columns out except the last without a syntax problem and it you put it before, you can comment all but the first.

Some people say it improves readability/formatting - it's certainly easier to spot if one's missing...

• It is a matter of taste but usually people are not expecting to find a comma at the beginning of the line in a normal text, so putting the comma at the end could be a slight improvement for reading the code.

brgds

Philipp Post

brgds

Philipp Post

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply