Any Efficient Backup Plan for large DB size ( Tera Byte )?

• Hi ,

Trying to setup Backup and Recovery plan for large DB size in Several TB .Like to know good suggetions or plans .

• Depends a little on what your business is willing to accept or spend.

I run a weekly full backup and daily diffs. I also run 5 minute transaction log backups for extra coverage.

• They have Daily Full backup and hourly T.log backup.

So i am trying to make more efficient because they can not afford data loss more so any ideas?

• another factor as to acceptable loss of data and spending etc is your RTO, you need to know that with your backup routines you can recover within your RTO as well as meet the business needs

• Use compression. The native one, or buy a third party product that can get you more compression. It saves space, but it can also reduce the time a backup takes, which can result in potentially less data loss. You can also achieve better compression ratios.

Space savings can mean that you also can keep more backups around. If you lost your last full backup because of file corruption or media failure, what do you do? I hope you have the full before that and all the log backups since that previous full.

The log backups take the same space across a day, so it doesn't matter if you do 1 or 480 a day. So do more log backups, script the restores, and have a lower potential data loss.

Make sure backups are copied off the server itself, and consider using log shipping, even to a workstation, to give yourself a way to get back up and running quickly if needed.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply