Any disadvantages of Access project front-ends?

• We have implemented a software based on sql 2000 and access projects as frontends. This is done because an earlier version was developed solely on Access. I have heard that perfomance is probably lower with project and SQL than using only Access databases. Is it so? Any comments appreciated.

• Hi, performance depends on several things. To get maximum performance using access and sql server you can do several things:

do not use linked tables because by opening or quering them all data is transfered to the client. Use stored procedures or passtrough queries. Try to do as much data processing on the server as possible.

• Thanks Klaas Jan. I already try to do that but could perhaps emphasize even more on server only data processing. My clients has windows 9X and sometimes the whole PC freezes. I don't whats the problem but initially everbody started the same adp file. I am moving towards letting the users have their own copy though this makes maintenance more difficult.

• Hi joohan,

One thing we did for maintaing access clients is: Put the access client on a intra net web site so that users can download this. If the have a problem they can simply download again. Have the client check if there is a newer version vailable.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply