Another Book Question

• Anyone who has passed 70-228 or 70-229 care to recommend a book, or books, they used? I have the Transcender product, but would like to augment it with an additional source.

Thanks in advance.

Be great!
    Michael

• I found that using only the Sybex books and Transcenders as study guides was enough to pass the exams.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0782129218/o/qid=1004630858/sr=2-1/ref=sr_bt_1/202-7162036-3016624

and

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0782129420/o/qid=1004630911/sr=2-4/ref=sr_bt_4/202-7162036-3016624

Best of luck.

Paul Ibison

email: Paul.Ibison@btinternet.com

Paul Ibison
    Paul.Ibison@replicationanswers.com

• Paul, thanks for the recommendation. BTW, did you like the 2000 book? (I co-authored it).

marmentrout - Desgin exams - I found that the 2000 exam eas easier than the v7 exam, though I took the 2000 Beta and live exams before I took the 7 exam. I didn't use any resources other than knowledge for either exam and took the exam as a "check" after writing the book.

I am planning on doing the admin exam early next year, but haven't picked any resources. I heard the Sybex book is good from a colleague, but haven't gotten it. We'd love to ahve your feedback as well once you complete the exam.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• Unless I am missing something, the FatBrain link lists you as a co-author. However, the US Amazon site does not list you. Is this the same book?

Be great!
    Michael

• The design book is definitely me. I go by Steve Jones, but actually I am J(ohn) Steven, so some of the distributors got it wrong.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• I have the same question. I want to take the 2 SQL 2000 exams for my electives in pursuit of my MCSE. I'll be taking SQL as an independent study and am looking for a solid foundation as well as a passing exam grade.

Has anyone tried the MCDBA SQL Server 2000 All-in-One Exam Guide by

David Perkovich?

And, Paul, did you start from no knowledge of SQL or were you already developing databases in SQL? I'm wondering if SAMS SQL in 21 days is a good place for a FileMakerPro programmer to start?

Thanks.

Sivea

• I had 5 years of db experience before doing the SQL 2000 exams, which helped, but I still think carefully going through the Sybex books and Transcender exams would be enough for most people with a moderate amount of db experience. It's probably easier to 'book learn' for the admin exam, because the implementation exam requires a lot of working out in the exam room, rather than memory stuff. I have some friends who are preparing for their MCSE, and they see the implementation exam as the least attractive of the options for that reason (plus it's harder than the others!).

Paul Ibison

Paul.Ibison@btinternet.com

Paul Ibison
    Paul.Ibison@replicationanswers.com

• I've only done the 229 exam, but knowing the basics of SQL is important. There are questions where you must know the correct syntax, so be sure to pick a T-SQL book. For beginners, I think my book covers everything, but you need to practice the different constructs to be sure you can spot incorrect ones.

I thought 229 wasn't that bad, not too many SS2K specific items. Know your triggers and views. I think going through 2-3 SQL books will help. Of course, I hate to see people get certified if they do not use the product. If defeats the idea of certification.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• A wealth of help. Don't worry, I'm not taking the exams just for the letters, I'm looking to extend my company's client base by increasing the range of services we can offer. I plan to take SQL seriously but need a way to break in to a position where I can actually work with someone who knows what they are doing. You know the old conundrum--you have to get some experience before you can get a job but you have to get a job before you can get some experience. I'm hoping I can break through that wall with some serious upfront time spent on studying for the certification. If I can manage to pass, I'll figure I've learned something!

From the PASS forum, I'm learning that VB or C++ are almost required additional skills. Looks like I've got a long road ahead.

Sivea

• Good luck and we're here to help if we can.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• Thanks for the best wishes! I'm sure you'll get tired of seeing my posts once I start studying after Christmas. ;^)

Pat Phelan at PASS suggested starting with the Celko books to get a handle on the language and practice putting it into use. I also ordered Kalen Delaney's "Inside SQL Server 2000" for some light bedtime reading. I guess I'll go with Sybex for the exam training although I'm still considering Osborne since I've had such good results with it for the core. And who can forget Transcenders!

See y'all on the other side of the holidays,

Sivea

Sivea

• For 228 SQL 2K Admin I've used Perkovich's All-In-One, Brian Knight's Admin 911 SQL Server 2000, Delaney's Inside SQL Server 2000 and of course BOL.

I've been in IT just under 2 years, working with database exclusively for just the last six months or so. I'v already passed two of the SQL7 exams.

I would say that the All-In-One book probably doesn't cover sufficient depth for the exam - but some parts are so basic it doesn't really work exclusively as a revision book either. This probably not a bad book if you know almost nothing but with any knowledge/experience at all the Admin 911 will be much more useful - and lots of real world tips too (Which of course is what it's target is).

Greg M Lucas
    "Your mind is like a parachute, it has to be open to work" - Frank Zappa

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply