Anonymisation Confusion

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Monday, May 14, 2018 11:47 AM

jay-h - Monday, May 14, 2018 9:19 AM

Considering that the DNC spent over 1B, and the 'Russians' expense was at most in the thousands (and apparently they played both sides of the fence), I find it really hard to believe they were a major player.

I doubt this too, but don't ignore the fact that much of that $1b was in traditional media and there was tremendous amplification of non-traditional, online, social media stuff for much lower costs.

What's scary isn't that there was material difference in the end result, but that there could be as better techniques are used to influence with new media.

Yes, but you'd have to prove that these techniques do have an influence and how much influence they have. That is where the problem is because as I understand it no clear evidence has been provided that there was an impact. It's one thing to say that adverts portraying candidate x as bad were seen by a million people, it's another thing to say that a million or a thousand or a hundred  etc a) believed them or b) had their decision influenced by them. it's pretty clear to me that these issues have been overtly and heavily politicised after the result has not gone the way of groups that invested large amounts to try and sway things the other way. 
    Yes it's scary that these things could have a major influence, but you also need to keep an eye out on governments or large corporations using this an excuse to exert control over the media! Is it scarier than the bloke down the pub telling you his slightly bonkers opinions on politics - after all maybe he's right!

• allinadazework - Tuesday, May 15, 2018 3:10 AM

Yes, but you'd have to prove that these techniques do have an influence and how much influence they have. That is where the problem is because as I understand it no clear evidence has been provided that there was an impact. It's one thing to say that adverts portraying candidate x as bad were seen by a million people, it's another thing to say that a million or a thousand or a hundred  etc a) believed them or b) had their decision influenced by them. it's pretty clear to me that these issues have been overtly and heavily politicised after the result has not gone the way of groups that invested large amounts to try and sway things the other way. 
    Yes it's scary that these things could have a major influence, but you also need to keep an eye out on governments or large corporations using this an excuse to exert control over the media! Is it scarier than the bloke down the pub telling you his slightly bonkers opinions on politics - after all maybe he's right!

I have no idea what the relativel influence is, I'm just saying don't dismiss the power of newer  media based on $$$ spent. We absolutely should be looking into this because I'm not sure we understand how little or big the impact might be.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Tuesday, May 15, 2018 3:50 AM

I have no idea what the relativel influence is, I'm just saying don't dismiss the power of newer  media based on $$$ spent. We absolutely should be looking into this because I'm not sure we understand how little or big the impact might be.

I do think it is probably a good thing that it is being discussed. Hopefully it will increase the awareness and understanding of confirmation bias - something I know I suffer from. (Its also terribly prevalent in management , consultancy and general governance)

I have this theory that bad news travels quickly as in evolutionary terms it was  important to point out snakes / predators so literally you would call out a danger and it was important for everyone to take notice immediately. A mechanism that worked well in small units but I am not sure how well people cope with it when given access to every warning on the planet constantly. I have zero evidence to back this theory up. I try and unbias myself by intentionally not getting angry  or getting into discussions about anything I don't really have first hand experience of.

• From what I've seen, the ads created were not very sophisticated and were targeting folks who's political opinions havn't evolved since high school. Basically, it was digital equivalent of spraying graffiti on a highway overpass.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply