Analysis Services OLAP Administrator Group

• I am running SQL Server 2000 and Analyis Services on a Win 2k Server/Win 2k Pro LAN. We ran into a problem with the root drive on the server and needed to replace it [was not able to ghost it so had to reload/install everything again]. My problem is that after installing Analysis Services (while logged in as an administrator for both the local server and the domain) I can not get Analysis Services to process any dimensions or cubes. Instead I receive a timeout error. I am using the OLE DB driver for SQL Server as the connection to the data warehouse sql server and the connection always test okay. I am thinking this is a permissions issue since I can see the tables in the data warehouse and can create cubes and shared dimensions and save them...I just cannot process them. Has anyone come across this before? Prior to having to reinstall Analysis Services, everything worked correctly. I am at a loss and can not seem to find anything on MSDN or the MS Knowledge Base that addresses this particular problem...

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Michael Weiss

Michael Weiss

• I had a similar issue with timeout errors after a SQL7 to SQL2k upgrade. I resorted to uninstalling SQL2k and reinstalling everything from scratch (rather than having an upgraded installation). The processing still hangs (as if going to timeout) but after one hour it continues to process now. In my case, I dont see a problem with permissions as it does finally run, there is just this huge pause in the processing as if it were going to timeout.

Have you had a look at the SQL calls with Profiler? If not, run profiler while trying to reprocess your cubes and see what query is hanging. Try running that query in in Query Analyzer and see if you can run it manually. Just a thought. Not sure this will help anything but it's worth checking. I'm still trying to debug this problem, so I'll let you know if I find anything else out.

Cheers....................

• Thank you, Jay...I will try that and let you know what I come up with...I do know that the process is hanging on counting the members of whatever dimension I try to create. Also, I am unable to get the MSSQLServerADHelper Service to run. Apparently, this service registers new objects/instances in SQL Server adn Analysis Server with Active Directory. I will let you know what I find out...

Michael

quote:

I had a similar issue with timeout errors after a SQL7 to SQL2k upgrade. I resorted to uninstalling SQL2k and reinstalling everything from scratch (rather than having an upgraded installation). The processing still hangs (as if going to timeout) but after one hour it continues to process now. In my case, I dont see a problem with permissions as it does finally run, there is just this huge pause in the processing as if it were going to timeout.

Have you had a look at the SQL calls with Profiler? If not, run profiler while trying to reprocess your cubes and see what query is hanging. Try running that query in in Query Analyzer and see if you can run it manually. Just a thought. Not sure this will help anything but it's worth checking. I'm still trying to debug this problem, so I'll let you know if I find anything else out.

Cheers....................

Michael Weiss

Michael Weiss

• I ran the query (that anlaysis services was attempting to run for processing a dimension) in QA and it runs fine...I still think it is a permissions issue on the services that support analysis services...I keep getting error #3221225572 which is defined as user logon with misspelled or bad user account by knowledge base article Q273499...this is exasperating! Will keep you posted of further developments...

Michael

Michael Weiss

Michael Weiss

• Not sure about any AD issues, we're still running Win NT 4.0. Are you running the services with a service account that has admin rights on the server? Something else to check. ALso, I recall a long while back having a strange problem with a view being used as either the fact table or one of the dimensions. The view name had a space in it and OLAP (7.0) had a problem with that. Not sure if this applies also to AS 8.0.

Looks like my problem is not timeout related. My query, which had seemed to be hanging, is just using a different (bad) query plan which is taking much longer post-upgrade. I'll post a separate topic on this later.

Like most MS products, when AS works, it works great. But hit a weird 'little' bug and you find yourself on your own with little to go on. Most of my AS/OLAP related posts get nothing but dead air as replies. Either not many people are using it, or they have very simple implementations. If you think you are exasperated now, just wait till you contact MS and get their 'secret internal' knowledgebase articles which also don't work. Now that's exasperating!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply